Is it an age thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I may have mentioned that in another thread in the past but could be useful for newbies. I find that if I ride my bike two days running or too often in one week, my energy level goes down quickly after each subsequent ride. On the other hand, if I space them out by a few days, I feel much stronger, even after a week away from riding.
I assume that, as I get older, my body takes longer to recover and needs the extra days to re-energise. I am only 70 but obviously, can't ride like when I was much younger.
Its only natural. I'm at an age where I can still ride strong if I ride consecutively up to a point then performance goes down but do need a break to recover so I can bounce back to optimum. When I was younger though that period to exhaustion was longer and I recovered faster/overnight. I fully expect as I age the length of time before performance goes down to decrease more and the need to recover in order to achieve a more optimal performance to go up :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs C had the same problem. She took up some light weight training and has built muscle. Perhaps this might spur on to persist with it.
View attachment 600641
Does it not bother you that Mrs Lop's face is entirely covered in hair?

lane

Veteran
I am nearly 60. The more I do the more I can do without much recovery. It I push it and ride significantly longer or harder than usual sometimes I feel I can hardly move the next day.

Previously on consecutive days cycling I would suffer - on a short tour. Recently finished a 4 day tour and was fine each day, but I am sure that is because I have had the opportunity to do more cycling since retiring. Last Saturday i rode a 200km Audax, it was quite warm, it was significantly further than I have ridden for 12 months and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to get back on the bike the next day I was knackered.

I don't think any of that is necessarily to do with age but more with adaptation.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I am nearly 60. The more I do the more I can do without much recovery. It I push it and ride significantly longer or harder than usual sometimes I feel I can hardly move the next day.
I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel more lethargic and sluggish after a day off. I think maybe active recovery suits me better, i.e. just a short ride at a slower pace than normal.

Kajjal

Guru
I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel more lethargic and sluggish after a day off. I think maybe active recovery suits me better, i.e. just a short ride at a slower pace than normal.
This is very true and it tends to vary by the cyclist, I have never been able to go out for a gentle recovery ride as I just start picking up speed without thinking about it. If I go out every day after a while I start getting tired and colds. Roughly every other day works well for me as I also have a stressful job as well.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It’ll also depend on your rides. If you are always pushing it a bit on hills etc that’ll need more recovery than at an easier pace. You just find the balance and work with that. Off bike strength work also becomes more important the older you get. That is, if you want to maintain fitness.

Also remember , recovery days are adaption days. They are when your body is getting fitter, not during the exercise.
I feel this is very true. Last December I started a routine of stretching and very light weights which takes 50 minutes. I'm 67 and my objective is only to remain as supple as possible for as long as I can. A friend who is a PT has advised me on the routine which I try to do on non-cycling days, i.e 4 days/week. An unexpected by-product has been I can hold a far longer and higher heart rate then I used to be able to. This seems to be helping me ride better though not at the level of form I had in 2020. During the first lockdown I rode five times a week for two hours at the maximum pace I could hold - best training I've ever done.

pawl

Legendary Member
I may have mentioned that in another thread in the past but could be useful for newbies. I find that if I ride my bike two days running or too often in one week, my energy level goes down quickly after each subsequent ride. On the other hand, if I space them out by a few days, I feel much stronger, even after a week away from riding.
I assume that, as I get older, my body takes longer to recover and needs the extra days to re-energise. I am only 70 but obviously, can't ride like when I was much younger.

I ted to ride alternate days usually 20 or25 miles Recently I have increased my mileage to 30 but have two or three days between.I don’t worry about speed I just enjoy the ride I am 80 so just happy to get out on the bike Listen to your body
If it suits you then I would say you have got it right.

proletaratOne

This is why Logan's Run was made.
Renew ,renew,renew!!!!!

Mralexrides

On current diet/ nutrition levels, performance tends to go down with age after 45. Seen that with colleagues, friends and myself. First indication is when climbing but not on endurance hence a lot of us go for distance at that age. The endurance too starts deteriorating after mid 50s. Recovery time also longer. No longer the eager beaver to get on the bike the next day

I do know of people that have upped diet and nutrition (more food) so they can maintain or go further.

This is anedotal but I did notice my vegans friends switching to endurance ride and move away from hilly terrain much earlier. My guess is lack of protein to maintain muscle mass.

It is joy to see people doing long runs.
I dunno I think its different for individuals. got a friend who;s 44, im 30 and he is a beast out does me easily. He hasn't been cycling for long either like me..

Bollocks to age. Started playing field hockey at 50, have just spent the day painting the outside of our house (up and down ladders), and I'm getting changed for a cycle to the gym for a workout.

And I could do it all again tomorrow if I didn't have other commitments.

And +1 for Mrs Cycleops.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Glad its not just me.... mind you i'm so pig headed, I tend to attack every hill I come to in a vane attempt at sticking 2 fingers up at feeling completely f###ed and then have to sit on the grass / wall / bench for 10 minutes to recover at the top....

Top Bottom