Is it any wonder that we get angry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually getting angry is a perfectly normal reaction, and good for you. If you keep it in you'll harm yourself.
Certainly pull over, vent your anger, personally I like to shout a lot of swear words at the errant vehicle.
Couple of deep breaths and carry on.
Yup, seems a perfectly normal healthy approach.

(some will prefer the Guru way, but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone.)

Drago

Legendary Member
Having the camera & the high probability of being able to report an incident helps me not to get angry at the time. Plus my conduct is also going to be in evidence. Police in Avon & Somerset will warn or prosecute so I find it generally worthwhile reporting.

I had a recent case where I had to rap knuckles on the side of a Fiesta which was closing in on me from the side. The driver pulled over & threatened to punch me 'cos I'd touched his pride & joy. I started out friendly & peaceful but backed off when he got worse. I didn't react angrily to his aggressive attitude.

It made for interesting footage and I was actually lucky he wasn't Kenneth Noye. But if I hadn't touched his stupid car, I felt he would have swiped me off the bike. I'm awaiting updates on that case.
Go easy on the feller. Id be angry too if life had dealt me such a bad hand id ended up driving a Fiesta.

DRM

Guru
Having the camera & the high probability of being able to report an incident helps me not to get angry at the time. Plus my conduct is also going to be in evidence. Police in Avon & Somerset will warn or prosecute so I find it generally worthwhile reporting.

I had a recent case where I had to rap knuckles on the side of a Fiesta which was closing in on me from the side. The driver pulled over & threatened to punch me 'cos I'd touched his pride & joy. I started out friendly & peaceful but backed off when he got worse. I didn't react angrily to his aggressive attitude.

It made for interesting footage and I was actually lucky he wasn't Kenneth Noye. But if I hadn't touched his stupid car, I felt he would have swiped me off the bike. I'm awaiting updates on that case.
So he got angry about a tap on the side of his car, what state did the cretin think it would be in if he actually knocked you off, dented & scratched, plus a prosecution for driving like a blind prat, utter moron

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I generally let it pass, people rarely react well to having their driving criticised or their actions challenged. I had an old guy pull out in front of me at the weekend without looking, I just did that very Italian "shrug" once I'd braked enough to stop me going into his tailgate. A motorcyclist then passed me, gave me the same shrug, then gave the driver the stink eye as he overtook him. No point doing anything shouty.

I sympathise with @Arjimlad though, there's little you can do when someone half overtakes, then changes their mind and stays level, but squeezes you into the kerb / parked cars. Sometimes all you can do is rap on the side of the car. But nearly every time that's happened to me I've got some variation on "don't touch my car" / "why did you hit my car". Heaven forbid you have the nerve to harmlessly touch their pride and joy as you very harmfully disappear under its wheels.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I generally let it pass, people rarely react well to having their driving criticised or their actions challenged. I had an old guy pull out in front of me at the weekend without looking, I just did that very Italian "shrug" once I'd braked enough to stop me going into his tailgate. A motorcyclist then passed me, gave me the same shrug, then gave the driver the stink eye as he overtook him. No point doing anything shouty.

I sympathise with @Arjimlad though, there's little you can do when someone half overtakes, then changes their mind and stays level, but squeezes you into the kerb / parked cars. Sometimes all you can do is rap on the side of the car. But nearly every time that's happened to me I've got some variation on "don't touch my car" / "why did you hit my car". Heaven forbid you have the nerve to harmlessly touch their pride and joy as you very harmfully disappear under its wheels.

I acted for a chap once in an injury compensation claim. His brother stole a car, then ran him over with it, then reversed back over him. He survived but with some spinal and internal injuries. There were about ten witnesses to the furious driving.

The police charged the brother with driving whilst uninsured, and charged my chap with criminal damage because he put a dent in the car as it hit him. He was not the Police's favourite customer and we rather got the impression they wished the brother had done a more thorough job.

screenman

Legendary Member
I accept that all motorist are trying to take me out, that way when they do not it makes me feel nice.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

I am usually a courteous rider, acknowledge good drivers and usually give the bad ones a stare and a shake of the head without lashing out. I guess on this occasion it was the disbelief that I'd almost ended up in an ambulance on my first ride for months

This following guy however, was a total w****r..

During the first few weeks of lockdown (remember when people were buying bikes as if they were bread and milk?) I was cycling in top gear down a narrow path and spotted a family of four with a dog walking towards me. I slowed down and when I got ten yards from them, the father (I assume) said, "slow down please," to which I replied, " yes, I have."
He then sarcastically said, " Didn't you see us coming? I told you to slow down!" This guy was out for an argument.
I had, by now slowed down to a standstill and asked him politely to put his menace of a barking dog on a lead. But by now the red mist had come down and he was frothing at the mouth and spraying his saliva everywhere.
I politely told him to keep his distance and not to become the schoolyard bully with me. His son was now trying to pull him away.
"Yeah, yeah, ok," I calmy said as I slowly rode away.
"This provoked a reply of "W***R!"..."P***K!"..."T**T!"
I could not believe how unreasonable his behaviour was.
Thankfully people like him are rare!

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Tbh as much as I despise the human race en-bloc I generally find the bulk of people are OK when out on the roads.. although of course it only takes one nasty incident to ruin a ride.

Shouting at drivers for uncomfortably close passes is a regular occurrance on most rides, while coming genuinely close to a serious accident probably happens 2-3 times per year (but touch wood I've mostly managed to avoid them through luck or defensive riding). I've had a few road rage incidents but nothing that's culminated in anything too serious such as the driver stopping or trying to hit me (although I've had a few try to make my life difficult).

I agree that moderating one's temper is always the best approach if possible, however I find this difficult and I can only curtail the severity of my outbursts to an extent. Remaining calm is also usually a useful tool for winding the peanuts up further if you so desire.. that said personally it does my mental health no good to suppress my rage so shouting and ranting helps get that out / stops me dwelling on it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I got angry last night as a driver decided to try and overtake with another car approaching, rather than wait the "person" decides it would be better to try and put me into the kerb , a few choice words were screamed in their general direction .....

Kryton521

Über Member
Had a go at a woman who overtook me with just metres to a red light. Gets in front of me, swerves in towards the kerb. Slamming on the brakes in order not to go over the stop line. Then, puts her left indicator on to turn into the Tescos.
I did a fair bit of shouting but mostly just to amuse myself and hold her up as long as I could!

Top Bottom