...is it better to ride shorter and more frequently or longer and less frequently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

currently I am doing 35km and 20 km loops on alternate days and riding everyday of the week. I am finding it pretty easy going but I am not losing any weight anymore...should I increase the loop sizes or ride say one 100km a week and a smaller ride....does it make any difference?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Apparently, and please understand that I know bugger all about it personally, you should do moderate intensity 2 times a Week as a minimum for less than 2 hours but once a Week or fortnight do a substained ride of over 2 Hours.

This was told to me by someone training for a personal trainer type qualification thingy. Its all to do with how the body utilises carbohydrates, and can only efficiently use carbs for up to 2 Hours. After this time, you start to burn fat.

Like I say though, its just what I was told :blush:

Cheers

Chris :o)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Good luck :blush:

I'm having real trouble shifting the weight at the moment. It fell off quite quickly to start with and now I seem to have hit a bit of a plateau. The trouble seems to be finding the time to do the long ride at the Weekends, what with having a family at home.

I'm going to start going out early morning at the weekends, should be able to get up, out and back before the family wake, hopefully. :o)

Cheers

Chris :smile:

stevenb

I tdepends on what you want to gain from it BTFB.
Slower and longer distances will increase your stamina no end...
Short powerful blasts will build muscle more so.
As you have said though...a blend of the two will get you fit pretty sharpish.

I found that including hills to climb into distance rides helped to as as soon as got to the top I'd monitor how long it would take to regain a normal breathing pattern. the quicker you recover the fitter you are.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...actually i reckon I am getting pretty fit on the leg department...I can get up hills round here that used to kill me and not be out of breath at the top...but i still need to shift a lot of fat from my belly and chest areas...so it is fat burning I want this winter....I am also going to start swimming...well that is th eplan.

stevenb

Nice one.
It's hard to lose around the belly...I had that issue. When I joined the Police I was 13st 9lbs and I'm 5'9". B the time I left I was 1st 4lbs and an awful lot fitter...although I was on a high protein diet....I had to balance it out with increased carbs as I was starting to get quite ill.
Anyway, the best thing you can do is swimming and cycling.
Do you drink beer? If so, cut it out....entirely....for a month and see the results. Don't snack between meals if poss and if you must then eat a banana or an apple.
You'll get there in time....don't force yourself into it at once...I've done that a few times before both ways....lost weight and gained weight quickly...and it made me ill every time.

Membrane

Bigtallfatbloke said:
currently I am doing 35km and 20 km loops on alternate days and riding everyday of the week. I am finding it pretty easy going but I am not losing any weight anymore...should I increase the loop sizes or ride say one 100km a week and a smaller ride....does it make any difference?

With regard to burning off fat, afaik it is mainly about how much time you spend on the bike (in total). It is commonly accepted that when staying below 70% of your maximum heart rate, fat is burned preferentially (shifting to carbs being burned preferentially above that). So if burning off fat is your main aim, it suggests that you should be taking it fairly easy (avoid strenuous climbing). This isn't a balanced exercise regime though, I'd suggest that you do one ride per week where you push yourself.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

so if I understand you correctly I should be doing longer, less strenuous but steady pace rides?

Mortiroloboy

stevenb said:
Nice one.
It's hard to lose around the belly...I had that issue. When I joined the Police I was 13st 9lbs and I'm 5'9". B the time I left I was 1st 4lbs and an awful lot fitter...although I was on a high protein diet....I had to balance it out with increased carbs as I was starting to get quite ill.
Anyway, the best thing you can do is swimming and cycling.
Do you drink beer? If so, cut it out....entirely....for a month and see the results. Don't snack between meals if poss and if you must then eat a banana or an apple.
You'll get there in time....don't force yourself into it at once...I've done that a few times before both ways....lost weight and gained weight quickly...and it made me ill every time.

Were you the Dunstable Constable? Sorry just couldn't resist that;)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Apparently, the 2 hour plus thing is fairly critical. I don't understand why as you need to consume some carbs on a long ride which was explained to me by "if you don't eat the carbs you can't burn the fat" :biggrin:

Clear as mud really.

If its of interest, I can pm you the info that was given to me. I'd feel a bit akward posting it on a public forum without permission from the sender.

Blonde

Just in terms of losing weight - all that matters is calorie expenditure. So there's no difference - you need to work out approximate KCals burned per short session, add them up and compare that total to the total KCals burned in your single longer session. If however you're training for something specific: Long rides are good for endurance and a general increase in fitness (in terms of resting HR, Max HR etc and also in terms of body adaptation to cycling. This type of fitness is slowly built up though - think years, not months). It is not good for increasing speed or strength particularly - although of course the more you cycle the more these will naturally increase anyway within reason. However, you are more likely to wear yourself down and get ill riding long distances (especially if not built up very gradually) in all weathers. Speed/strength work does exactly that but wont increase your base fitness beyond a certain point. All types will burn KCals which is what you want to lose weight. I suggest that you need to do both types for a healthy balance. Most people use steadier base miles to keep fitness ticking over through winter than training for something specific in spring using strength/speed work or more specific training for their chosen event(s).

You say you have reached a plateau in terms of weight loss. This is common and means (assuming you haven't started eating more KCals than previously) that your body has adapted to the training you are doing so needs fewer calories to do it (ie. you have become fitter - which is a good thing). Therefore you are going to have to up your training levels in order to loose more weight. This can be done either way - more short sessions than you currently do, or, longer rides. You may also want to look at your diet and see if there is any excess KCal input that you could cut out.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Many thanks for that:smile:

...My diet is pretty good, although I do tend to eat a lot of bread still...I fill up on carbs befre the ride and protien after the ride. I dont really think I can cut back much more on food and still feel ok to ride like this. I no longer drink alcohol and my only liquid intake is water and herbal teas in large amounts!

My intention is to build in some swimming as well as riding...we'll see how that goes as the local pool isnt so great. Another idea I had was to gradually introduce am and pm rides...so that i would do say 20km in the morning then have a long break and then head out again in the evening for another 20km....then gradually increase each ride until I am capable of riding all day non stop day after day.....ok it's a pipe dream and possible excessive, but It's something to aim for so that i can do my tour next year.

Just one other question....how does the use of energy drinks affect weight loss? I would typically not drink any on a shorter (35km) ride but would drink one or even two on a 90km ride at the moment.

Blonde

Energy Drinks contain KCals so obviously you are putting back some of what you are burning off. However, if you need them to avoid the bonk, don't stop using them altogether on longer rides. You may be able to use less though. I find I only need them on very hilly/intense effort rides these days or when it is very cold (when you use more KCals just being alive and staying warm). I do use electrolytes drink in hot weather. You can get drinks that do not contain sugar or KCals/energy, but only the electrolyte salts found in most energy drinks. One brand of these is Called Nuun but there are other brands as well if you want to stop taking in as many KCals but still want the hydration benefits of the electrolytes.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

That is interesting..I didnt know that. I hav ebeen drinking lucoszade sports isotonic as I go around, but I am as you say finging that I need it less and less and only on the longer rides or like today...into a serious headwind.

Top Bottom