Is it dry lube time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ok...hand up to being a "lube-noob"...but what exactly is the difference. does the dry not collect as much gunk?

User269

Dry lube all year for me; it's perfectly capable for wet winter use. I used 'wet' lube on my MTB and winter bikes for many years only to find that everything got caked in cack and paste and wore components out really quickly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've moved to dry lube for the fixed as it doesn't fling off everywhere, especially the rims.

You just need to make sure you do re-lube after a wet ride. Attracts much less muck, but can be a 'little' harder to clear off once 'set'.

Terry Kay

I'd get some and see how you get on with it.. LBS recommeded TF2 dry lube which goes on like oil but dries and I do all our bikes with..
Went for some replacement and they'd sold out so picked up muc off dry lube which claims to protect better and penetrate well, but is more cream like in texture and didn't seem to go on as well.. Ended up getting a few bottles of the TF2 from another bike shop..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just used Wurth dry lube on my Cannondale. I did 103 miles on it yesterday and it was fine. I don't intend to use that bike much in the wet, but I'm about to put a new chain on my Basso which does get used in all weathers and once the factory grease on that starts to wear off, I'll start using Wurth on that see how I get on with it. TBH - I wouldn't mind if I had to lube a chain every 100 dry miles or after every wet ride, as long as it doesn't squeak and lasts a decent number of miles.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I use Finish Line Dry Teflon on the kids' bikes and , and can confirm that it is a great way to keep your drivetrain clean, even on wet rides.

I use Finish Line Dry Ceramic Wax on the roadbike and the XC bike. Keeps things spotless, but the price is a bit of an eye-opener.

eddiemee

I've been on Dry Lube for about 6 weeks now with the unusually dry weather. Definitely easier to keep clean, and I relube every week and whenever I've been in the wet anyway so it's no extra effort. I use either Finish Line Dry, though I don't like the consistency, or Viking Dry Lube which seems to do a great job.

400bhp

Guru
Dry lube all year for me; it's perfectly capable for wet winter use. I used 'wet' lube on my MTB and winter bikes for many years only to find that everything got caked in cack and paste and wore components out really quickly.

+1

User269

Just use a bit of WD40.
Although I use TF2 there's nowt wrong with WD40, even though some people say it's just for cleaning. I remember an 80 mile very wet ride years ago when I noticed that the rain had washed most of the lube off the chain about 10 miles from home, but for most uses it's perfectly adequate.

I use squirt dry lube all year round, always reapply after a wet ride, means I use more in winter than if I used a wet lube.

From my mileage charts I think dry lube gives you more mileage from a chain, before having to replace it. But I think I need to get through a few more chains, before I can be sure

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What is that grease on a new chain and why can't we buy it? A new chain always seems so nice and, errr, greasy.
When I was young and foolish, I used to completely degrease new chains before fitting them, and then oil them on the bike! :blush:

Eventually, I realised the error of my ways and started installing them as is and I find that they work really well like that for hundreds of miles.

Top Bottom