Is it just me, or

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
..... We have all been made to beleive that Rio is this beautiful, wonderful place appearance wise, but when I see it on the telly, it doesn't actually look very nice or particularly interesting to me.
Yes, they have the forest covered hills and all, which I guess is nice enough (huge pavements and gutters aside), but the rest has all been a bit of a let down to me, a lot of it just looks a bit grotty and (outside of the sanitised Olympic park), just a bit meh. Even the forest covered hills would get boring after a while as, what else can you see??

Having grown up with hills, mountains and scenery, I often find that a lot of these much touted places are, when I see them, are just a bit boring, sorry. What is this great thing about Rio I am missing?? I am talking about the scenery, not the people.

Anyway, is there anywhere you have been or seen that has been a real disapointment??

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Germany, much the same as being at home , just a different language.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Another disappointment to me is the Settle And Carlisle Railway. People go on as if it is the best thing ever, but compared to Scotland, it is nowhere near. There, said it!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Rio is quite astonishing when you fly in. It doesn't look real or even possible. It's even more astonishing when you are actually at ground level but for rather different reasons - ridiculous wealth in one area and the worst kind of poverty in another. Great music and culture, but such misery too.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Rio is quite astonishing when you fly in. It doesn't look real or even possible. It's even more astonishing when you are actually at ground level but for rather different reasons - ridiculous wealth in one area and the worst kind of poverty in another. Great music and culture, but such misery too.

I haven't really seen it from the air before, so maybe that's it!

On the ground, maybe it is the weather, but it just hasn't impressed me so far.

Brandane

Legendary Member
You are just spoilt, @Mad Doug Biker , living as you do in the scenic paradise of which I am another privileged resident.
The thing I have noticed about Rio is that maybe the west of Scotland isn't the wettest place on earth after all!

The only places I have seen with better scenery than Scotland are the Alps, and the Seychelles.

ayceejay

Guru
This has to be the most roundabout question ever, what, still looking for the magic?
I met this guy in Athens who was taking photographs of the Hilton Hotel with the Acropolis over his shoulder in the fading sunlight and asked him what he was doing. He said "Do you know that when you take a plane to escape yourself the first person you meet at the other end is you?"
I didn't know that

I've spent some time there and flown to it a lot. You're not missing anything and not somewhere I would now choose to travel to. For the most part it's a shithole full of sodding great piles of concrete blocks. When the weather is right you can smell it as you're coming in to land and there are barriers to stop your view of the favellas (slums) on the way from the airport to the city - they haven't yet found a way to stop the smell though.
The tourist stuff runs out fairly quickly, Christ statue, cable car ride up Sugar loaf, beach. May be different as part of a group, but on your own it's not a safe place to be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

This?:

View: https://youtu.be/A9ecYEM5i5c

Some of those hills and mountains look interesting, and that is one long bridge, but, other than that? Is there something earlier?

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
You are just spoilt, @Mad Doug Biker
The only places I have seen with better scenery than Scotland are the Alps, and the Seychelles.

Maybe I am spoilt, but it always makes me laugh when people on these house programes practically flounce with joy at the 'Wonderful' views and vistas a property has.

I look at it and see a few fields.... :laugh:

As for the Alps, they are spectacular, but sometimes it is almost as if they are too perfect - They certainly aren't rugged like the highlands (they are younger and less eroded for a start). I am told that Norway is a good comparison with Scotland, but I have still to go.

Having never been to the Seychelles, I cannot comment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom