Is it Just Me Or...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I guess forums aren't for everyone, they can appear a bit intimidating when you're on the outside and dont know who is who and how they tick...but we are a friendly lot for the most part. Perhaps they just have a question, get it answered..and off they go into the sunset.
Perhaps (and this is my opinion only) the mechanics and repairs section is or has been prone to bickering, perhaps it just plain puts people off.

You might be surprised to learn that isn't how some posts come across even to those who have been here for a decade or more.

I can easily understand how some newbies feel intimidated and only stay for a short time. Equally I've observed for years there are individuals who join, ask a specific question or questions and then disappear. It's the nature of forums.

gbb

Legendary Member
You might be surprised to learn that isn't how some posts come across even to those who have been here for a decade or more.

I can easily understand how some newbies feel intimidated and only stay for a short time. Equally I've observed for years there are individuals who join, ask a specific question or questions and then disappear. It's the nature of forums.
I know what you mean and I'm perhaps forgetting, there are parts of the forum where I chose not to go, too arguementative, too fixed in their beliefs...and like i said, Mechanics and Repairs has always been a feisty place, quite a few contributors who despite their undoubted wealth of knowledge, come across quite poorly with alternative opinions I know how to deal with it, newbies no doubt wouldnt. Shame because it puts people off.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to frequent Land Rover and plumbing fora and the same happens there. The old hands post advice then get irked when people ask a question, get saved an expensive mistake but don't thank.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
“which bike” ... some of them seem to have made up their minds already and argue when you make a suggestion! I
That's very common on all forums I think. The same thing used to happen on Motorbike forums when I was there. not so much a "which bike/car/trumpet" but more of a "I want to buy this, please validate my decision so i won't have buyer's remorse"

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I changed my name a while back, got fed up of reading meta lons posts..

He does seem to have gone rather quiet since then - I almost miss the cantankerous old bugger.

I guess forums aren't for everyone, they can appear a bit intimidating when you're on the outside and dont know who is who and how they tick...but we are a friendly lot for the most part. Perhaps they just have a question, get it answered..and off they go into the sunset.
Perhaps (and this is my opinion only) the mechanics and repairs section is or has been prone to bickering, perhaps it just plain puts people off.

Lor I wish I had their self discipline...

I pitched up here maybe 18 months back to ask some innocuous bike related question - about what I don't even recall..

And yet I'm still here, wibbling on about all kinds of nonsense.

And wasting my time on pointless circular arguments.

I must devise some kind of exit strategy.

Eschew all Internet chat for a month or something..

Arrgghh it's impossible - when there's so many opinionated old duffers about to argue with ^_^

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I pitched up here maybe 18 months back to ask some innocuous bike related question - about what I don't even recall..

And yet I'm still here, wibbling on about all kinds of nonsense.

I must devise some kind of exit strategy.
Crikey, I've been here for nearly 13 years :ohmy: There is no escape my friend. ^_^

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Crikey, I've been here for nearly 13 years :ohmy: There is no escape my friend. ^_^

Hmmn,
This much I feared.

To be fair most folks have been very friendly, and even helpful in and out of extremis..

Last year when my train rather unexpectedly turned into a bus, as I was heading back with my bike to catch a ferry from Spain that evening, I was variously advised, soothed, and knowledgeably supported in my travails.

Of course it all turned out OK in the end. :okay:

At the time mr @Mugshot made some rather unnecessarily flippant remarks, as regards my predicament.

But I've just about forgiven him now -
-not being one to hold a grudge an' all that :angel:

On the whole yes - nice people - and interesting to hear pov not always regularly encountered in my daily life :rolleyes:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
CycleBots?
Joking apart, bots and spammers are always trying to get on the site. Posting a question is a favourite way to try and look legitimate before slipping in their dodgy links or whatever, but your mod team has ways of picking them out.;) :evil:

At the moment there do seem to be a lot of genuine new or returning cyclists joining so be nice to them.:okay:

Top Bottom