Is it just me that doesn't like the Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A Brompton is a scaffold pole with a hinge in the middle and a little wheel at each end.

It's amazing it rides as well as it does.

I have an on-off relationship with mine.

Sometimes I think that front end is just too harsh and twitchy.

Then I go for a ride across town, weaving around the various obstacles, accelerating almost as quickly as a proper cyclist, if not braking quite as well.

And I think: "That was just so much fun, I must ride my Brommie more often."

jay clock

Massive member
To address the issue of fold time I found a vid of the OP's bike being folded. Assuming it is the same Tern Uno. See here

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYLg61iaZzA
at the 17:21 mark when he starts it takes 32 secs to fold fully. Now I am not particularly speedy but my kids timed me at well under 20 secs for the Brompton. Around 16 -17 I recall.

And as for that velcro strap malarkey...

OP
OP
C

colmac2000

Regular
So what have they done to annoy people? I could see much difference from the specs I looked at.

The fretboard is wider, they are using a robot autotune system, brass zero fret nut and they have replaced the iconic Les Paul script on the headstock with replica of an actual signature that looks like it has been drawn by a 5 year old. Nothing too drastic but enough to annoy the traditionalists. There is a Les Paul Traditional model, which they normally leave alone but they have applied the new updates even to that model this year.

Sorry - bit OT

andyfraser

Über Member
The fretboard is wider, they are using a robot autotune system, brass zero fret nut and they have replaced the iconic Les Paul script on the headstock with replica of an actual signature that looks like it has been drawn by a 5 year old. Nothing too drastic but enough to annoy the traditionalists. There is a Les Paul Traditional model, which they normally leave alone but they have applied the new updates even to that model this year.

Sorry - bit OT
I thought the autotune thing sounded good. I still won't buy one at those prices though. I'm done now. :smile:

OP
OP
C

colmac2000

Regular
To address the issue of fold time I found a vid of the OP's bike being folded. Assuming it is the same Tern Uno.
at the 17:21 mark when he starts it takes 32 secs to fold fully. Now I am not particularly speedy but my kids timed me at well under 20 secs for the Brompton. Around 16 -17 I recall.

And as for that velcro strap malarkey...

Not sure what the velcro strap is about...mine doesn't have that and I did buy it new.

I was surprised at how long it took him to fold the bike, so I just timed myself and it is around 18-19secs. Can the Brompton really be done in under 10 seconds?

The big issue with the Tern for me is that the only thing keeping it folded is a pretty weedy magnet. It has unfolded on me quite a few times and been really annoying.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The Tern Uno, from the photos I've seen, looks like it's yet another Dahon clone/knockoff/rebadge job. The only bike I've ever had stolen was a Dahon, and I was absolutely delighted. It was a horrible thing, with a horrible fold, a horrible ride and a horrible setup. The second worst thing about it was the adjustable handlebars. The worst thing about it was the fact that the folding mechanism always felt as if it was about to come undone- and did, on more than one occasion.

The Brompton is probably the best all-purpose commuting folder out there - the reason they sell so well isn't fashion, it's because they're good at what they do. They're expensive because, unlike most other bike manufacturers, Brompton haven't sacrificed quality for cost and still manufacture in London.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not sure what the velcro strap is about...mine doesn't have that and I did buy it new.

I was surprised at how long it took him to fold the bike, so I just timed myself and it is around 18-19secs. Can the Brompton really be done in under 10 seconds?
Yes. And that's with the OEM screws. Aftermarket addons are available, if pure speed is all you care about.

For me the beauty of the Brompton fold is its functionality. The whole thing is always stable, and it packs in on itself to a neat package. Folding the horrible horrible Dahon was like unfolding a deck-chair - you never knew how it would end up, and the designed package was nasty and spiky.

OP
OP
C

colmac2000

Regular
The Tern Uno, from the photos I've seen, looks like it's yet another Dahon clone/knockoff/rebadge job.

It is a Dahon, essentially...there was some family political reason behind the change of name.

OP
OP
C

colmac2000

Regular
I'm still undecided as to whether or not to persevere with it tbh.

One (probably stupid) question - given that it is made of steel...I assume if the paint gets chipped then it will rust?

I ask because even after folding and unfolding only a few times I can tell that the paint around the joint isn't going to last.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm still undecided as to whether or not to persevere with it tbh.

One (probably stupid) question - given that it is made of steel...I assume if the paint gets chipped then it will rust?

I ask because even after folding and unfolding only a few times I can tell that the paint around the joint isn't going to last.
Yes.
It's hell of a lot of metal to go through, it'll probably outlast most of us!

Kempston

The Brompton is probably the best all-purpose commuting folder out there - the reason they sell so well isn't fashion, it's because they're good at what they do. They're expensive because, unlike most other bike manufacturers, Brompton haven't sacrificed quality for cost and still manufacture in London.

I certainly agree they're the best if ride comfort isn't taken into account. Because, from a folding perspective, size, fold and practicality then becomes the main consideration. I don't agree with what you say about their cost though, your reasons appear to come straight out of a Brompton catalogue. For me, they're primarily expensive because people will buy them regardless and they take advantage of that. In some ways they're the Apple of foldup bikes. Like Apple, Brompton are in an enviable position where, in terms of appeal and sales figures, the brand has become more relevant than the product itself. Which touches on my point about them being a fashion accessory for a lot of people.

I guess it comes down to personal opinion, like anything else. For me, a foldup bike is still primarily a bike. So how well it rides on my 16 mile per day commute is far more important than leaving a bit of extra space on the train.

jay clock

Massive member
@colmac2000 you said in the first post that the Brompton take 3 times as long as the Tern to fold. So at 18-19 for the Tern, is the Brompton taking 56 to 59 secs? And where did you get the idea of under 10 secs for a Brompton? Possibly in the world champs?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yeah, I'd say normal time for a Brompton is around 20 seconds. 15 would be do-able if you tried hard. 10 would be impressive.

Top Bottom