Is it just me that doesn't like the Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
To be fair to the haters, the same thing would be true of any folding bike - it's just that Brompton does the complete package better than anyone else.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not sure what the OP means by rust on the joints, and there certainly shouldn't be paint bubbles.

The seat stay bridge can rust through, but that takes years and won't happen if the area is kept clean and lightly oiled.

jay clock

Massive member
rust? just looked at mine (1 year old, used 3-4 times a week for a 13 mile round trip plus lots of folding on/off trains) and tiny chips off the paint by the clips, but no rust

Can we summarise as the discussion as "most people like them, some don't"?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
[QUOTE 3614577, member: 45"]No, that's not my point. It's pretty clear.[/QUOTE]
At least two of us disagree with you, as your point is entirely unclear to us, but no matter: the bottom line appears to be that you are content with a cheaper bike, so all is good.

Two comments re:
1 - risk of rust. Have you all read this? http://blog.brompton.com/2014/03/19/paint-and-rust-protection/
2 - flex. In addition to the M bars being a factor, have you considered the suspension block? My first Brompton was a M3L with the standard suspension block and was what I'd call "springy". The instant and overwhelming impression of my S1L with the firm suspension block (at my request) was how stiff and fast and direct it was.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'd definitely recommend the firm suspension block, and yep, if you have the M bars then the Brompton handlebar brace (about £15 from memory) makes a big difference.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The instant and overwhelming impression of my S1L with the firm suspension block (at my request) was how stiff and fast and direct it was.
That's kinda how mine feels, it accelerates amazingly well, it's no slouch until aerodynamics dominate.

S.Giles

I went riding a couple of years ago with a friend who owns a Brompton. We swapped bikes for a while and I didn't like it at all. The fittings seemed pretty low-quality and I couldn't get on with the wheel-size. Only three gears (IIRC); what's that about?

And that was before I found out how much they cost!

OP
OP
C

colmac2000

Regular
Niche? Think not. I commuted into London 2 days last week and there was a veritable sea of Bromptons streaming along the platform. I couldn't spot a single non-Brompton folder.

Top Bottom