Is it just me that doesn't like the Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempston

That would be because the non Brompton owner was still reassembling their bike down the end of the platform.

Or, perhaps they're like me and are three miles up the road because they have a folder which looks and rides like a proper bike and they don't look like a performing circus bear.

Kempston

Behind the sarcastic humour of my post there is a half-serious point. I've lost count of the amount of Bromptons I've ridden past. As they're chugging and blowing with their tiny wheels. But, then again, at least they have a cycle helmet that matches the colour of their bike. This seems important to a large proportion of Brompton owners for reasons I can't fathom. ;)

Many years ago there was a folding bicycle conference at Weymouth.

A very young Reise and Muller brought along a prototype Birdy, and spent many hours talking to Andrew Ritchie.

One of the events was a Le Mans start to your folded bike, unfold, ride and obstacle and fold race. The winner was Mark Sander's Strida

PA040036.jpg

400bhp

Guru
No I don't like them. But I'd still buy one for the practicality, if it meant the difference between cycling and not cycling.

It is a Juliane Neuss conversion kit

I have ridden a couple and they are fun

More piccies from this BROL Thread

DSCN1535.jpg

DSCN0711.jpg

Last edited:

Ganymede

Veteran
It is a Juliane Neuss conversion kit

I have ridden a couple and they are fun

More piccies from this BROL Thread

DSCN1535.jpg

DSCN0711.jpg
Shame it looks like they aren't available any more. Ah well! I am supposed to be looking at bents with bigger wheels for my next bike so it's not what I really want, but thanks for posting the cool pix.

I have seen some folding recumbents but they still seem a bit cumbersome - I guess with trikes it's the only way to get them on a train, but I think I'm after another 2-wheeler anyway. Cheers!

Shame it looks like they aren't available any more. Ah well! I am supposed to be looking at bents with bigger wheels for my next bike so it's not what I really want, but thanks for posting the cool pix.

I have seen some folding recumbents but they still seem a bit cumbersome - I guess with trikes it's the only way to get them on a train, but I think I'm after another 2-wheeler anyway. Cheers!

Not perfect, but look at HP Velotechnok's Grasshopper

Kempston

I constantly get passed by people on Bromptons while riding my Tern. I've always wondered why :smile:

You're not very good at cycling? ;)

Joking. But on a serious note it obviously depends how much effort you're putting in but toe to toe that shouldn't be happening. Even a mid range Tern Link is easier to cycle, has larger wheels and, unless the Brompton owner took out a second mortgage, will have more gears.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

colmac2000

Regular
You're not very good at cycling? ;)

Joking. But on a serious note it obviously depends how much effort you're putting in but toe to toe that shouldn't be happening. Even a mid range Tern Link is easier to cycle, has larger wheels and, unless the Brompton owner took out a second mortgage, will have more gears.

They don't appear to be making any more of an effort than me - just seem to waft effortlessly past. My current Tern is single speed but I used to have a 6 gear 20" folder (different brand) and it happened with that too. :smile:

Top Bottom