Is it just me that doesn't like the Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempston

Odd. I've never been passed by anyone on a Brompton. I've passed plenty of them though, both on my old Tern Link and on the Tern Joe P24 I have now. The latter is an unfair comparison though as it looks and rides like a standard full size mountain bike, no Brompton owner has a hope of keeping up unless they're a cyclist of very high quality. It needs to be said though that I cycle at a fair old speed. In my view, if you're not making an effort and out of breath, it defeats half the object of cycling. Cycling as exercise is as important to me as cycling to get from A to B, whether it's on a folder or not.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
If it was bought through a C2W scheme OP cannot just sell - technically the bike belongs to his employer and he is leasing it.

OP
OP
C

colmac2000

Regular
So I mentioned the paint chipping off to the shop I bought the bike from and they didn't think it should be happening so soon. They suggested I pop it back in and they would take a look and maybe send some images to Brompton. Not sure what kind of solution Brompton are likely to suggest though...they're not likely to offer to take it back and fix dodgy paint are they? Or are they? Or replace the bike? Hardly seems worth it, if that kind of 'damage' just happens anyway.

I'll see what they say I guess.

swansonj

Guru
Odd. I've never been passed by anyone on a Brompton. I've passed plenty of them though, both on my old Tern Link and on the Tern Joe P24 I have now. The latter is an unfair comparison though as it looks and rides like a standard full size mountain bike, no Brompton owner has a hope of keeping up unless they're a cyclist of very high quality.
Differences in fitness between riders easily outweigh differences in efficiencies between bikes. A cyclist outputting 200 or 300 W will outpace a cyclist outputting 50 W whether the former is on a Brompton and the latter on a Colnago or not.
In my view, if you're not making an effort and out of breath, it defeats half the object of cycling.
I'm glad you qualified that with "in my view" because it's a view I profoundly disagree with and consider inimical to the cause of promoting cycling as a contribution to a healthier society (physically, mentally, socially and environmentally).

StuartG

slower but further
Yes I'm late to this Marmite discussion too. For years I treated my Brompton as a folder, A practical way to go 2/3 miles with very twitchy steering. Then I was forced to use it long distance. I was terrified. But it got me there and along the way we fell in love. The weak link is me. Even TMN may testify it is guaranteed to put a smile on my face and will take me as far as my legs will carry me - nearly as far as my road bike.

Its like any relationship - you click or you don't. And it pays back with the more you give it. Oh and you do have to run'em in. My Brompton doesn't twitch anymore. Doesn't rust either. Maybe they no longer make 'em like that used to.

Its a M3L. Fixie riders may feel that is two more than necessary :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm just catching up on this thread. Can I say I love my Brompton? It's one of the best bike purchases I have made. 6 gears, P handlebars and a Brooks saddle. It's comfortable, nippy and the only bike our landlord in Oxford will allow us to keep in the flat. It's not as nippy as my road bike. It doesn't climb like my tourer or MTB but it copes with everything that's thrown at it. Initially I found the steering twitchy but after a couple of rides I'm happy riding one handed. I'm also happy 'honking' on the pedals up a hill. The only thing I didn't like were Brompton issue tyres, one of which punctured on my second ride. I've now got Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on it. No problems for the last four months and I've been out in all conditions.

View attachment 84282
Sweeeeeeetttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Fab Foodie

Differences in fitness between riders easily outweigh differences in efficiencies between bikes. A cyclist outputting 200 or 300 W will outpace a cyclist outputting 50 W whether the former is on a Brompton and the latter on a Colnago or not.

I'm glad you qualified that with "in my view" because it's a view I profoundly disagree with and consider inimical to the cause of promoting cycling as a contribution to a healthier society (physically, mentally, socially and environmentally).
Absolutely.
It's not about how fast or how far, but how often ....

Fab Foodie

Strava is the curse of the cycling classes.
We really need shirts with this on .....

Kempston

Well yeah. Obviously. I'm not sure why you wrote this as if you were contradicting what I'd said.

Well I'm hardly likely to be giving someone else's view, am I? And note I said 'half the point', the first word of which I suspect you might have missed. Still, you got quite a few likes I notice so perhaps they missed it too.

I'm not saying you have to be blowing like a bitch when you complete the journey, but for me cycling is my primary source of exercise so on my 16 miles per day, I don't hold back.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Well after having just read through this thread, I have made the decision, I will be going out to buy mine next week. A bit of window shopping and a try out today.

Fab Foodie

I will either get a H6L in black off the shelf with marathon plus tyres mudguards no rack or wait five weeks on the colour I wanted. The C2W voucher should arrive this week so I have until then to make up my mind.
I would recommend the lower gearing option (44t Chainring) Been back in Bristol with mine tonight with the lowered gearing since my last visit - much better on the hills, much more usable.

Top Bottom