Is it just me that doesn't like the Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikee7

My wife and myself purchased new Bromptons two years and love them,we used to have mountain bikes but they were a pain to keep loading on the car,we mainly ride trails on a regular basis which include,The Camel Trail Cornwall from Bodmin to Padstow-Derby Peak trails including High Peak,Tissington,Monsal and Monyash plus in Leicestershire Rutland Water,we have never had any problems riding these routes,both bike have the C bag on at all times to carry gear,I did put better quality tyres on and changed to low ratio gears,the bikes are both 3 speed and handle all the routes we ride with ease,usually have tyre pressure around 85psi we seems to suit both bikes with our set up.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
No, @StuAff, they definitely said it was a lightweight frame.
Must be the osmium wheels.

Now one of the more scientific among us will come online to tell me osmium is unstable or something …
You called? :biggrin:
Osmium is perfectly stable - it's not a transuranic heavy element which may not be used where there is life (/ Sapphire and Steel). It is brittle, as metals go, so not the best thing for a wheel IMHO.

I commented a few pages back about how over-engineered Bromptons are. Now, I'll admit I do like them, but another daft thing about them is the incredibly fiddly saddle clamp for which you need about 3 hands to line everything up correctly to clamp onto the seat rails. Why?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My wife and myself purchased new Bromptons two years and love them,we used to have mountain bikes but they were a pain to keep loading on the car,we mainly ride trails on a regular basis which include,The Camel Trail Cornwall from Bodmin to Padstow-Derby Peak trails including High Peak,Tissington,Monsal and Monyash plus in Leicestershire Rutland Water,we have never had any problems riding these routes,both bike have the C bag on at all times to carry gear,I did put better quality tyres on and changed to low ratio gears,the bikes are both 3 speed and handle all the routes we ride with ease,usually have tyre pressure around 85psi we seems to suit both bikes with our set up.

Great aren't they?
I've just done my first cycle camping weekend on mine. 60 mile ride with full camping kit along NCN 5 from Oxford to Long Itchington .... including mud-plugging along a large portion of the muddiest canal paths available.
Loaded as shown it went like a dream.
Also of use was the fact the bike, bags, me and all went inside my Vango Banshee 200 tiny tent without issue.
What a machine!

IMG_2043.JPG

Tojo

Über Member
Very interesting thread, I have always vaguely thought about getting a folder, so this has been useful, thanks!

I suppose they are quite handy if you want to get on a north sea ferry with it in a suitcase and book a cycle on on the way back and have it full of contriband booze and tab's.......:rofl:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I commented a few pages back about how over-engineered Bromptons are. Now, I'll admit I do like them, but another daft thing about them is the incredibly fiddly saddle clamp for which you need about 3 hands to line everything up correctly to clamp onto the seat rails. Why?

The seat post on a Brompton is flared at the bottom to prevent you yanking it out every time you unfold the bike.

In order for the seat post to be removed - to fit a longer one or if it's damaged - it must come out of the bottom of the frame.

The top of the tube has to be plain gauge to allow it to drop out.

Thus the saddle clamp must be designed to be entirely removable.

It may be fiddly - I've never touched mine, but I suspect most owners set it only once.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I suppose they are quite handy if you want to get on a north sea ferry with it in a suitcase and book a cycle on on the way back and have it full of contriband booze and tab's.......:rofl:

Sounds like the voice of experience to me!! :whistle:

Useful as folding bikes are, and as much as I would like one, I have always thought of them as being a bit.... Well, ugly.

I'll have to find one that looks remotely sensible!! :laugh:

The seat post on a Brompton is flared at the bottom to prevent you yanking it out every time you unfold the bike.

In order for the seat post to be removed - to fit a longer one or if it's damaged - it must come out of the bottom of the frame.

The top of the tube has to be plain gauge to allow it to drop out.

Thus the saddle clamp must be designed to be entirely removable.

It may be fiddly - I've never touched mine, but I suspect most owners set it only once.

If you're swapping saddles, it's a real pain. There's no mechanical reason for it to be so, as I've removed saddles of other bikes which have a similar seat tube. There's several washers which delight in spinning round when they shouldn't.

Tojo

Über Member
I'll have to find one that looks remotely sensible!! :laugh:

That maybe easier said than done, Its a recurring nightmare I have about going to the circus when I was a kid and one of the clowns were riding one, I'm glad of that as I don't like clowns, I was transfixed how ugly the bike was, but unfortunately I'm getting the nightmares about the feking bike......:rofl:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That maybe easier said than done, Its a recurring nightmare I have about going to the circus when I was a kid and one of the clowns were riding one, I'm glad of that as I don't like clowns, I was transfixed how ugly the bike was, but unfortunately I'm getting the nightmares about the feking bike......:rofl:

Nothing wrong with clowns, only people in make up. The bikes though, yes..... :whistle:

Top Bottom