Is it legal when filtering on the right to cross on to other side of road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
If no oncoming traffic and you can see for a long way ahead. It's also a dashed line in a 30 mph area.

Just wondering, since I have a right turn coming up so need to be on the right anyway but the traffic waiting at red lights is stationary.

This is the junction:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.396...4!1sJ3LJdvCYqU-BsWlgcxmpMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I am in the right lane anyway but lots of stationary cars in front of me but no oncoming traffic on other side...I need to get to the short right hand turn lane, but could still pull in between cars if any oncoming traffic appeared up ahead.

I just wait, but was wondering if my suggestion is legal or otherwise inadvisable?

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's fine and quite often much safer

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
great, it feels safer than sitting in front of a car in the right hand lane who is eager to get past you. I have a nice commute along the canal towpath but this is the only section where I feel worried - but got to be confident and take the lane etc

Good afternoon,

....but could still pull in between cars if any oncoming traffic appeared up ahead.....

It is certainly legal to cross the centre line to "filter" to the right if it safe to do.

Big However, you do not the have the right to pull in between cars if any oncoming traffic appeared if it is unsafe for yourself or the cars on the left hand side of the centre line that you would be pulling in in front of.

In other words by crossing the centre line you may put yourself in the position that you have to be in the wrong whatever you do.

I have seen a few posts where people do filter over the center line and then get very irate when the oncoming traffic doesn't give them the right of way, of course the oncoming traffic is obliged to avoid causing an accident if they can, but they do have the right of way.

In the more general case the practice can become more dangerous when the cyclist thinks that there is space for him and any oncoming traffic but the oncoming traffic is forced off the presumed line by something like a big pot hole or a cyclist that has just joined from a side road or the pavement.

Bye

Ian

SNIP
I have seen a few posts where people do filter over the center line and then get very irate when the oncoming traffic doesn't give them the right of way, of course the oncoming traffic is obliged to avoid causing an accident if they can, but they do have the right of way.
SNIP
I'm not contradicting the overall point of the snipped bits, but you've twice referenced having or giving 'right of way' there. There is no such thing. Explicitly, the following is an extract from the Highway Code general rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158):
'This section should be read by all drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders. The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.'

The term is 'priority', which is not the same as 'right of way' and the distinction is important since priority requires some form of polite negotiation and good sense about interactions between road users, whereas the 'right of way' thing is far too aggressive and suggests that one road user can simply do something, irrespective of anything else going on at the time.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's okay to do what you're doing. Just be sure you have somewhere to pull back into on your side of the road and don't go the wrong side of any keep left bollard.
...of course the oncoming traffic is obliged to avoid causing an accident if they can, but they do have the right of way.

As for right of way, nobody has that. The highway code is quite specific on this, it only advises you when you should give way to others.

pawl

Legendary Member
Personally I wouldn’t risk it If a vehicle stops to allow a car out of a side turning to turn right the driver of that vehicle will be looking to the left and not expecting a bike or motor bike crossing in front of it.

I have filtered down the right of stationary traffic a manoeuvre to be carried out very slowly

A friend of mine was seriously injured filtering and he said he had not expected another vehicle.

If in doubt don’t do it.As the saying goes better late in this life than early in the next.

Reactions: C R

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Always long queues of traffic in Glossop so this is a common issue

I happily filter down the outside of stationary traffic providing I can see well ahead and judge when traffic is coming the other way. When it's coming the other way I make sure I'm on my side of the white line.

When my traffic gets moving I filter back in and get to the inside of the lane. Never had anyone try to close the gap on me. A quick look over the shoulder and then a wave of thanks when I filter in always works

The only issue occurs if I'm passing a lorry (so no space to pull in) and something comes the other way out of the blue. When this happens I give the oncoming a quick wave and thumbs up and they have always given me room

As always, it's give and take

Levo-Lon

Guru
Motorcycle must do to avoid sitting in jam.

Nobbers who deliberately close the gap generally lose a 400 quid mirror :laugh:

Most german cars have these :whistle:

Top Bottom