Is it naughty?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven1988

Veteran
I Entered a sportive with a mate a few weeks back, I've had a phone call from the organisers saying they were over subscribed, and I would receive my entry back.

So here's the question should I turn up with my mate and ride the route anyway? Obviously I wouldn't use the feed stations.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Is it closed road? Probably not, so what's to stop you riding on public roads whenever you like anyway..

screenman

Legendary Member
I Entered a sportive with a mate a few weeks back, I've had a phone call from the organisers saying they were over subscribed, and I would receive my entry back.

So here's the question should I turn up with my mate and ride the route anyway? Obviously I wouldn't use the feed stations.

It would be wrong to do so in my opinion. It is seldom the organisers who set the size of a pretend race.

13 rider

Guru
I recently rode a sportive and ride part of the route with a rider who for the 2nd year running was just riding the course and hadn't entered and didn't used the feed stations at least you tried to enter . It's a public road if you want to do it just ride and enjoy . If it's closed roads then I wouldn't ride it otherwise fill your boots

screenman

Legendary Member
Cheers guys think I'll ride it then. Can't let my mate ride on his own anyway

Why not ask the people who put the number restriction on, which of course could well be the police.

Even a better idea, why not organise your only pretend race, lay out lots of money and see how things go.

S-Express

Why not ask the people who put the number restriction on, which of course could well be the police.

The roads are open - the police can only advise, not enforce. Who is to say a 50-strong club run isn't planning to do the same route on the same day?

screenman

Legendary Member
The roads are open - the police can only advise, not enforce. Who is to say a 50-strong club run isn't planning to do the same route on the same day?

You were obviously brought up to not respect the rules that were instilled in me by a great cycling club over 45 years ago. You are entitled to your opinion I voiced mine, I consider mine shows respect to the organisers.

S-Express

You were obviously brought up to not respect the rules that were instilled in me by a great cycling club over 45 years ago. You are entitled to your opinion I voiced mine, I consider mine shows respect to the organisers.

Do you even know who the organisers are? I doubt if it's even a cycling club.

S-Express

Does it matter, somebody has still done the work and taken the chances.

What chances? Put a few signs up on the route and a couple of tables with cheese rolls and High5 sachets? I doubt if it's even marshalled. And it's already over-subscribed apparently, so there's no financial impact.

Top Bottom