Is it naughty?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
You're confusing me with the OP. I'm not riding it.

Lot's mate. Lots and lots. Been there, done that. Marshalled at plenty as well. I also marshalled at a sportive once - saw plenty of riders out on the course who hadn't entered - but nobody cared.

Not confusing you I suggested you organise a sportive and see what is involved.

Respect, that is what drives me to not ride on roads where an organised event is going on, as I said instilled in me years ago, unfortunately lacking in many parts of life nowadays.

S-Express

Not confusing you I suggested you organise a sportive and see what is involved.

Done that already. I know what's involved. 'Not losing money' and 'nobody dying' are the main issues (as with most other events), and if the event is over-subscribed (as the OP states), then the organiser's costs are already covered, so I don't see where the issue is.

Respect, that is what drives me to not ride on roads where an organised event is going on, as I said instilled in me years ago, unfortunately lacking in many parts of life nowadays.

Got nothing to do with respect. But you're welcome to believe that, obviously.

screenman

Legendary Member
Done that already. I know what's involved. 'Not losing money' and 'nobody dying' are the main issues (as with most other events), and if the event is over-subscribed (as the OP states), then the organiser's costs are already covered, so I don't see where the issue is.

Got nothing to do with respect. But you're welcome to believe that, obviously.

In my mind it has everything to do with respect, but of
course not everybody understands what respect means.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Plenty of sportives run on the roads I ride every week, I will be jiggered if I stay at home just because I see some signs out*. Perhaps the organisers should not be encroaching on my ride.

*Actually, I try and reroute as I don't want to get caught up in all the traffic.

screenman

Legendary Member
Plenty of sportives run on the roads I ride every week, I will be jiggered if I stay at home just because I see some signs out*. Perhaps the organisers should not be encroaching on my ride.

*Actually, I try and reroute as I don't want to get caught up in all the traffic.

How many sportives have you had your entry returned from? On those roads you talk about of course.

I also take it you may not have had the same journey through cycling as I have.

S-Express

How many sportives have you had your entry returned from? On those roads you talk about of course.

Not sure why you're getting so upset about this. You understand that a sportive is just a signposted 'challenge ride' on open, public roads, don't you? They are also a relatively modern phenomenon, so I'm not sure why your 'journey through cycling' is relevant to that.

I Entered a sportive with a mate a few weeks back, I've had a phone call from the organisers saying they were over subscribed, and I would receive my entry back.

So here's the question should I turn up with my mate and ride the route anyway? Obviously I wouldn't use the feed stations.
Yes, do it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not sure why you're getting so upset about this. You understand that a sportive is just a signposted 'challenge ride' on open, public roads, don't you? They are also a relatively modern phenomenon, so I'm not sure why your 'journey through cycling' is relevant to that.

Historically club cyclist would not ride on roads where there was any kind of organised event going on, now I see a sportive as an organised event.

Not getting upset here, far from it, just expressing my opinion.

screenman

Legendary Member
I Entered a sportive with a mate a few weeks back, I've had a phone call from the organisers saying they were over subscribed, and I would receive my entry back.

So here's the question should I turn up with my mate and ride the route anyway? Obviously I wouldn't use the feed stations.

No you should not.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

I am a little bit confused, it is a public road with all the normal traffic and no restrictions, I don't see any harm in me following one of my normal routes. Why should a company out to make as much money as possible, take presedence over me? If it is a closed road event then I would not even dream of riding it.

I first pinned a number on 36 years ago, but I don't think that has much to do with it. We are talking about a sportive here, not racing.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am a little bit confused, it is a public road with all the normal traffic and no restrictions, I don't see any harm in me following one of my normal routes. Why should a company out to make as much money as possible, take presedence over me? If it is a closed road event then I would not even dream of riding it.
I first pinned a number on 36 years ago, but I don't think that has much to do with it. We are talking about a sportive here, not racing.

Love the last line. As I said you did not have the same values instilled in you as I did when I first pinned a number on 47 years ago, maybe things changed.

If a sportive is such a money makers we must all be fools.

Top Bottom