Is it ok to fit QR wheel skewers to a folding bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I've got a Raleigh Evo 2 folder which has big chunky nuts holding the wheels on.
Is there any technical reason peculiar to folding bikes why I shouldn't be able to replace these with QR skewers?
TIA

Ajax Bay

Guru
Current axles will not be hollow, so is what you're asking: 'can I replace my current nutted axle wheels with ones that have QR axles'?

mitchibob

Über Member
Maybe with some, the additional rattly-ness of smaller wheels makes the QR a little less ideal? For those with hub gears, I've yet to see one of those with a QR axle.

Perhaps the main reason is that they think that your average owner of a folding bike takes it back to the shop to get a puncture fixed?

What kind of 7spd freewheel system do you have, screw on or freehub?
You can swap the solid axle for a hollow axle of the correct length. You need to know the Over Locknut Dimention OLD ie rear dropout outside to outside distance. Your hollow axle must be a little shorter than this for the QR to clamp.
QR is handy on sports bikes but not so much on utility bikes that will be locked up in a public place . People can mess with QR and steal them easily.
A better investment may be Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres that are very resistant to punctures.

mitchibob

Über Member
What kind of 7spd freewheel system do you have, screw on or freehub?
You can swap the solid axle for a hollow axle of the correct length. You need to know the Over Locknut Dimention OLD ie rear dropout outside to outside distance. Your hollow axle must be a little shorter than this for the QR to clamp.
QR is handy on sports bikes but not so much on utility bikes that will be locked up in a public place . People can mess with QR and steal them easily.

Useful info.

Although, I'd argue that with a folding bike, rarely need to lock outside in a public place? I never felt the need to have a lock with my Brompton as I can take it anywhere with me, but had to buy a lock for the first time in years after getting a road bike this year (and yes, a bit paranoid about someone nicking front wheel, so if out of sight, will take out and lock with frame and rear wheel).

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP gives no indication what their motivation might be to have a QR axle instead of a nutted axle, unless you read "big chunky" perjoratively.

mitchibob

Über Member
OP gives no indication what their motivation might be to have a QR axle instead of a nutted axle, unless you read "big chunky" perjoratively.

True... if it's to not have to carry a bone spanner as well as a simpler multi-tool, then even other through-axles make a lot of sense, assuming tool has the right hex-key. I really liked the J-tek hub that came with a front wheel I got from SJScycles. Perhaps there's a similar one he could get for the back as well? It does seem perhaps a lot of expense for a £250 bike.

Although, having just tried out tubeless on my road bike, really would like that option on a brommie ... and Hutchinson, if you're listening, some Fusion5 All weathers for brommie too! Fingers crossed sealant actually works first puncture, but loving grip and rolling!

I'm still guessing that the reason they don't stick QR on the is because 90% of owners take them to a shop for a puncture.

12boy

Guru
My Xootr Swift is a folder and came with QRs. Works fine, even with track ends in the rear. Wing nuts are fairly rare now but they should work fine although they allow a toolless miscreant to steal your wheel

Top Bottom