" Is it OK to get off your bike and walk up a hill?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
No if I'd never got past the first hill I couldn't get up when I started, I'd not have cycled much, in fact I can remember having markers on hills of where I would aim to pass to get that little bit further. I'm still very slow up hills 3mph yesterday

Effyb4

Veteran
No if I'd never got past the first hill I couldn't get up when I started, I'd not have cycled much, in fact I can remember having markers on hills of where I would aim to pass to get that little bit further. I'm still very slow up hills 3mph yesterday

That's exactly what I do. Some of the hills around here I haven't managed all the way on my first or second time, but each time I try to get a little bit further. Eventually I have been able to ride up them. This week I have been really pleased to get up some pretty tough hills (for me) without stopping or walking, but I wouldn't have minded if I did. I did take a break at the top of some of them though.

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3706610, member: 9609"]I get off and push on really steep stuff (my gearing is not all that low) but if I hear or see anyone coming I stop and pretend i'm taking a picture - now how sad is that :blush:[/QUOTE]

Ah that was you then was it?
As I was flying up that hill in 2nd I thought why is that strange guy composing a photgraph when he hasn't got a camer:scratch:a

I've been defeated by hills approaching 25% and I use an LX crankset.
I wonder how many pushers are using professional road-racer gears, but lack the strength of professionals.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been defeated by hills approaching 25% and I use an LX crankset.
I wonder how many pushers are using professional road-racer gears, but lack the strength of professionals.

Not many. Most bikes are sold with compacts. It's ego over fitness some times.

I run conventional 53 x 39 as my bikes are older, it was 52 x 42 but I've dropped to a 39. But you still have to get the bikes up hills.

If you are riding every day, then your ability will improve, you won't need extra climbing gears. Lots of folk only get time to get out once or twice a week, and that means you will need the gears. It's only the nutters that are riding lots and lots that won't need the gear ratios. It's a time thing.

D

Deleted member 1258

I do most of my miles on fixed, once in a while I'll come to a stop on a hill and have to use my feet, its no big deal.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not many. Most bikes are sold with compacts. It's ego over fitness some times.

I run conventional 53 x 39 as my bikes are older, it was 52 x 42 but I've dropped to a 39. But you still have to get the bikes up hills.

If you are riding every day, then your ability will improve, you won't need extra climbing gears. Lots of folk only get time to get out once or twice a week, and that means you will need the gears. It's only the nutters that are riding lots and lots that won't need the gear ratios. It's a time thing.

Compacts seem like a marketing fob-off pretending you've got lower gears, when you haven't really.
I had 50,40,30 on my older bike,(a considerable improvement on the 52/40 it came with), and even then it wasn't really as low as I'd like. Pretending a 52/34 or whatever is a low gear is just BS. My thorn drop bar tourer has mountain bike gears and that's much better. That said, my main bike only has one gear, and I live in a hilly city - and I'm well passed the first flush of youth.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 3707502, member: 259"]If somebody does whiz past you on the bike, try and look like you've stopped riding because you've got a puncture, your chain is broken, or you urgently need to go to the toilet.[/QUOTE]
To be even more convincing, initiate a conversation with the passing rider to tell them in great detail why you have stopped for the above reasons. It works every time.

Top Bottom