" Is it OK to get off your bike and walk up a hill?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To be even more convincing, initiate a conversation with the passing rider to tell them in great detail why you have stopped for the above reasons. It works every time.

A hillwalking pal of mine, a geologist, used to stop and pick up a rock and stare intensely at it. We weren't fooled

No
Well I was inspired by this thread to go back to a hill that I had the shame to walk up once and have avoided ever since. I made it up this morning, got to the top nearly puked and had to sit down for a few minutes. I am not sure if I can claim it as a win or not.
Now, THAT is a positive post!!

Mrs M

Guru
Of course it is :smile:
When I started cycling again I had to get off my mountain bike regularly to get up some local hills.
Now I have been back on the bike for a while and switched to a roadie I can get up those hills no problem (usually)
Don't worry about it, if you're out and going for it that's the main thing.
Enjoy your :bicycle: (or walk) :thumbsup:

tyred

Legendary Member
I am currently sitting in a hostel at the giant's causeway. I said I would do a sturmey archer tour this year. I have rode 90 miles in the past two days in difficult terrain with two full panniers with only three gears and haven't had to walk which has surprised me! My fitness must have improved without me realising it. I know it's geared lower than many would choose with 46/22 on 26"* 1 3/8" but even so, I am surprised. The first time I rode the route I did today was done on my viscount with 36/28 bottom gear and no panniers and I was knackered but feel fine today. Just get the miles in obviously works. And I guess stopping smoking may have helped too:smile:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
No shame in the 24" gear. I got off for a walk a few times when Bromming my way round Provence last year. Hells teeth, it's meant to be fun!

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I seen some one off and pushing up a hill as I cycled today. Gave them a cheer as said well done as I passed. Hills aren't easy for everyone, and getting up them is a progressive thing. We can't all be racing snakes

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have 52/39, and 12/28 on the back, but recently changed from 11/23
Been riding in Northumberland for about a decade now, and 2 local hills have defeated me in that time, when I had the 39/23 as lowest gear option.
The first Ryal, and Chew Green, for those that know the area (first time, for both... I have "owned" them since, many a time)
I know I said "demz da roolz" earlier in the thread, but I was applying that to my current gear options :smile::okay:

sarahale

Über Member
On road I'll ride up anything, haven't yet had to walk but if I did I wouldn't cry about it. Same goes for down.

Off road I walk up all the steep stuff and push down the steep stuff too, I'm a coward and need more practice. I came off and landed on a rock with my face and that sort of put me off pushing myself too hard haha

tyred

Legendary Member
I did have to resort to the 24" gear on my way home today and walk for a distance of about 20 feet or so on a short sharp climb and I rode in first gear for about 6 miles due to crazy coastal headwind but that is more to with a bolt upright and very non aero riding position than a lack of gears.
Touring on a 40 year old gents roadster isn't a stupid idea at all despite the lack of gears. I was in no hurry whatsoever and the upright riding position meant I could see everything, the sprung saddle is really appreciated on bumpy roads and everywhere I went there was always someone on cue to ask questions about it so it's a very sociable activity. 139 miles completed over three days although slightly annoyed that a cotterpin came loose on Saturday as I should have checked things more carefully before I set off and huge thanks to the guy in main BMW garage who kindly loaned me a hammer and spanner to tighten it :smile:

Top Bottom