Is it ok to have different tyre widths on each wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Schwalbe Durano Plus .... these are the best that I have used for winter ... zero punctures and grip well in the wet and dry, and roll OK ... plus they last long (you need to get the Durano Plus and not the normal Durano)

I have a pair of Continental four seasons on one of my bikes (bought the bike with them fitted) .... they are pretty good, but I have not tested them in the wet yet

There are also some new Michelans which are supposed to be good

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-endurance-v2-folding-tyre/

These are excellent, but be very careful banking over in the dark.

vickster

Legendary Member
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-endurance-v2-folding-tyre/

These are excellent, but be very careful banking over in the dark.
What does that mean?

Errrm. Don't get anything made by Continental if you need any more puncture resistance than a stripe of toothpaste. They do have very good grip and rolling characteristics, but if you ride more than a couple of miles on winter roads, you'd be better off riding on the bare inner tube, as far as puncture prevention goes.
Not true. I am still using up stocks of conti top touring tyres -would have used them to the end of my days if, like so much decent bike stuff, they hadn't been discontinued for no good reason. I very very rarely puncture. Normal good practice applies - regularly check tyres for debris. If you do that you can in fact run very close to the inner tube before replacing.

I ran a 2.5/2.3 combo over the summer,so I would imagine having slightly different widths on road bikes would be fine.
Bigger to the rear though,as opposed to bigger on the front on mine.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What's it got to do with the dark though?
Dunno, maybe in the light you can see the potholes even at speed, so you bunny hop them.
@Racing roadkill answer @vickster's question pretty please 'cause now I'm curious too!

Not true

I can assure you it is. I got sick and tired of Continental tyres letting me down. It wouldn't be an issue if they let the sharp stuff through on a leisure ride or whatever. But it gets very tedious when ( like me ) you ride over 12000 miles per year, and a lot of it is riding somewhere I need to be by 05:50 in the morning, so stopping for ( yet ) another puncture because Conti tyres couldn't stop a tiny little flint / thorn / piece of glass from shredding the inner tubes is really not an option. Hence moving to solid tyres on one bike, and Schwalbe Durano + on another. The D+s have never let anything through, and the only time I did get a flat, it was because a tube ( made by Continental quell surprise) had a valve failure. But hey what would I know eh?

I can assure you it is. I got sick and tired of Continental tyres letting me down. It wouldn't be an issue if they let the sharp stuff through on a leisure ride or whatever. But it gets very tedious when ( like me ) you ride over 12000 miles per year, and a lot of it is riding somewhere I need to be by 05:50 in the morning, so stopping for ( yet ) another puncture because Conti tyres couldn't stop a tiny little flint / thorn / piece of glass from shredding the inner tubes is really not an option. Hence moving to solid tyres on one bike, and Schwalbe Durano + on another. The D+s have never let anything through, and the only time I did get a flat, it was because a tube ( made by Continental quell surprise) had a valve failure. But hey what would I know eh?
Well we clearly have different experiences.

Well I know that Conti's MTB tyres are pump,and wouldn't use them again.
But I wouldn't fall over myself to buy Schwalbe either.
Vittoria all the way for me.
However,what works for one person etc etc etc.

Top Bottom