Is it ok to have different tyre widths on each wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you have to be very careful banking over in the dark?

Muggers at cashpoints?

Genuine question, but why would you put the bigger tyre on the back?
Your backside / spine / weight is over the back. The 25 mm tyre actually provides a surprising amount of extra 'suspension' effect, if you have to use different size tyres, its best to get any advantage where you most notice it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Genuine question, but why would you put the bigger tyre on the back?
As I said in Post #14: "if you've got one tyre wider than the other, run it on the wheel taking the heavier load: rear. The tyre can/should be run at a lower pressure and will (counter-intuitively) roll better and be more comfortable."
The load distribution between front and rear is anything from 45/55% to 40/60%. For two tyres of the same width the pressure difference should be about 25% (eg: 100psi rear and 75psi front, for a 75kg rider on 25s). Drop (or raise) 5psi for every mm of width.

AndyRM

XOXO
Fear not, @vickster @Ajax Bay et al, our squashed rodent friend is talking rubbish. I rode home last night on those tyres and took several bumpy corners in the dark; absolutely nothing untoward happened.

I reckon he's a Schwalbe intern or writes for a cycling magazine...

Jody

Stubborn git
@Ajax Bay That makes sense. I was only thinking based on MTB, you would normally run the fatter tyre at the front for extra grip

Fear not, @vickster @Ajax Bay et al, our squashed rodent friend is talking rubbish. I rode home last night on those tyres and took several bumpy corners in the dark; absolutely nothing untoward happened.

I reckon he's a Schwalbe intern or writes for a cycling magazine...
Wow you really sound like you know your stuff.
Oh hang on, no you don't, hence the reason your on my ignore list. Back you go.

Top Bottom