Is it ok to have different tyre widths on each wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JaAnTr

Hi,

I need to buy a new tyre as one of mine is very worn. At the moment both of my tyres are 23mm but I keep seeing that 25mm are best and would like to go up to them but I don't really want to buy 2 new tyres. If I bought just one 25mm and kept the existing 23mm which one should go on the front and which on the rear?

Thanks!

Hi,

I need to buy a new tyre as one of mine is very worn. At the moment both of my tyres are 23mm but I keep seeing that 25mm are best and would like to go up to them but I don't really want to buy 2 new tyres. If I bought just one 25mm and kept the existing 23mm which one should go on the front and which on the rear?

Thanks!
I'd put the 25 on the rear. I have one of my road bikes set up like that. It works for me.

OP
OP
J

JaAnTr

Great, thanks!

Any recommendations for an easy to fit, hard wearing tyre for the winter, around £20?

I'm a 23mm front and 25mm rear guy as well. My forks won't fit a 25mm Michelin tyre in (they measure up at 27mm) so I have the 23mm and it's fine.

It actually makes my bike look like a drag racer so it's even badass.

As for tyre choice I swear by these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorskin-folding-road-tyre/

Light, cheapish and they offer great protection.
Errrm. Don't get anything made by Continental if you need any more puncture resistance than a stripe of toothpaste. They do have very good grip and rolling characteristics, but if you ride more than a couple of miles on winter roads, you'd be better off riding on the bare inner tube, as far as puncture prevention goes.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Errrm. Don't get anything made by Continental if you need any more puncture resistance than a stripe of toothpaste. They do have very good grip and rolling characteristics, but if you ride more than a couple of miles on winter roads, you'd be better off riding on the bare inner tube, as far as puncture prevention goes.

I don't cycle the most amount of miles but over the last 2 years I've done a couple of thousand winter miles and not had one flat, but obviously each person has different experiences dependant on the kind of / amount of riding they do. I think though describing them as riding 'on the bare inner tube' a little excessive though ^_^

AndyRM

XOXO

I could say the same about anything made by Schwalbe. Been nothing but trouble for me, whereas Conti and Michelin have always been spot on.

Welcome to the world of tyre subjectivity @JaAnTr. My advice would be to find something you like and stick with it. And no, there's nothing wrong with different widths.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Horses for courses innit. I'm a big fan of Schwalbe on my non road bikes never had a problem fitting them or with punctures.

Vittoria are my stay away from recommendation. Radonneur's are by far and away the most evil tyre I have ever had the misfortune to try and get on and off road rims.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Some folk will say Vittoria are great, some will say they are rubbish
Some folk will say Schwalbe are great, some will say they are rubbish
Some folk will say Continental are great, some will say they are rubbish

It's subjective and people make recommendations based on an incredibly small sample size. Just fit a tyre. If it works for you stick with it. If doesn't, don't

FWIW I've been running Vittoria Rubino for the past couple of years, all year round. They're OK from my personal experience but it's up to you

davidphilips

Veteran
again the carlsburg (third) option if theres room why not go for 28s i started using them a few years ago and for the roads i cycle on they are great, theres even talk that they have lower rolling resistance than 25s but thats subject to many factors.

Ajax Bay

Guru
First directly answering OP's question: if you've got one tyre wider than the other, run it on the wheel taking the heavier load: rear. The tyre can/should be run at a lower pressure and will (counter-intuitively) roll better and be more comfortable.
Regarding choice of tyres, I recommend looking at this leading source of advice/fact. This link is to a comparison of three tyres, but there is much more.
Also there have been a few recent threads on tyre choice - this is one such.
Don't get anything made by Continental if you need any more puncture resistance than a stripe of toothpaste. They do have very good grip and rolling characteristics, but if you ride more than a couple of miles on winter roads, you'd be better off riding on the bare inner tube, as far as puncture prevention goes.
@nickyboy gives good advice (ref there being many PoVs) and just to reinforce that: IME and IMO (and like the others who responded immediately above) Rr's advice above is complete rubbish (see the link above for facts) - don't let him put you off Contis, though the Gatorskins are heavier, less puncture resistant and roll slower than GP4Ss. My (two sets of) Conti GP Seasons in the last 16 months have done 12000km and suffered one puncture. I shall be fitting some Michelin Pro4 Service Course next (as they were cheaper for a pair, almost as good puncture protection and less rolling resistance). These are currently about £23 at Merlin Cycles, and the 25 comes up a millimetre wider (ie 26mm) apparently (which btw is the same as the GP4s 28s - 26mm).

dim

Schwalbe Durano Plus .... these are the best that I have used for winter ... zero punctures and grip well in the wet and dry, and roll OK ... plus they last long (you need to get the Durano Plus and not the normal Durano)

I have a pair of Continental four seasons on one of my bikes (bought the bike with them fitted) .... they are pretty good, but I have not tested them in the wet yet

There are also some new Michelans which are supposed to be good

Top Bottom