Winter Commuting Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCh

Über Member
I was cycling home last night about 10.30pm on a damp road, and rounding a right hand bend my tyres lost their grip, bike shot away and wham, down I went like a sack of spuds.

Fortunately there wasn't too much traffic, the car behind was going slow enough to stop rather than run me over.

I picked myself up quickly and despite a few bruises and patches of skin missing down my right hand side, I got away lightly.

It got me thinking about whether it was just me (late at night, not thinking properly about combination of speed, damp road and sharp bend), or whether my tyres haven't helped and a winter option might be better. I wasn't really going that fast, not like the last time I fell off in that way a few years ago!

I'm using Schwalbe Luganos 700x25, but would appreciate any thoughts on a good winter commuting tyre, one that isn't too puncture prone.

Alternatively, maybe I should just be more careful.....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Alternatively, maybe I should just be more careful...

Sorry to say.... but this ^^^

If you do want to change, Schwalbe Durano Plus' have good puncture protection. I ride them all year round in all weathers.

I was cycling home last night about 10.30pm on a damp road, and rounding a right hand bend my tyres lost their grip, bike shot away and wham, down I went like a sack of spuds.

Fortunately there wasn't too much traffic, the car behind was going slow enough to stop rather than run me over.

I picked myself up quickly and despite a few bruises and patches of skin missing down my right hand side, I got away lightly.

It got me thinking about whether it was just me (late at night, not thinking properly about combination of speed, damp road and sharp bend), or whether my tyres haven't helped and a winter option might be better. I wasn't really going that fast, not like the last time I fell off in that way a few years ago!

I'm using Schwalbe Luganos 700x25, but would appreciate any thoughts on a good winter commuting tyre, one that isn't too puncture prone.

Alternatively, maybe I should just be more careful.....
Have a look at the current I Came Off thread. Answers are all in there.

Unfortunately tyres are always a compromise. The perfect commuting tyre doesn't exist.

Grip (especially in wet) vs Durability/puncture resistance vs Rolling resistance/speed vs Smooth ride/Comfort vs Price

I have Gatorskins at the moment which are next to useless in the wet but I ride accordingly when it is raining. On the other hand I can't remember the last time I punctured one.

Unfortunately tyres are always a compromise. The perfect commuting tyre doesn't exist.

Grip (especially in wet) vs Durability/puncture resistance vs Rolling resistance/speed vs Smooth ride/Comfort vs Price

I have Gatorskins at the moment which are next to useless in the wet but I ride accordingly when it is raining. On the other hand I can't remember the last time I punctured one.

I think you are exaggerating about the Gatorskins in the wet. What is your experience and what other tyre can be demonstrated to be better under the same circumstances?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I am always a little more careful in the wet but my Gatorskins seem fine rain or shine. I had my second puncture on Sunday in over 7000 miles on the same set.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My thoughts: be a bit more careful in cold, damp conditions.

Avoid Gatorskins. Lugano's I like but can be 'interesting' on slippy leaves, as with any tyres.

I moved to Vittoria Rubino tyres about 2 years ago and find them suitable in all seasons apart from ice and snow when it's the MTB with ice spikes on.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
yes compromise is it, you can lower your pressures a tad for some grip but at the cost of rolling resistance and potentially greater susceptibility to punctures. like the mantra that you should live to when driving a car tho, ride to the conditions and if in doubt, caution first.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My commute bike has Land Cruisers on it year round. They are fine in the dry, and fine in the wet.

My road bikes have Gatorskins on. They are fine in the dry, and fine in the wet.

I ride in dry and wet conditions. I ride according to the conditions, which I reckon is the trick...

Ajax Bay

Guru
rounding a right hand bend my tyres lost their grip
Were you applying the brakes during this turn/bend? If so next time release any pressure on the levers as you start turning. You must have confidence in your tyres and your ability to judge what a sensible speed is to go into the bend, and be prepared to geta lean on and, at the first intimation of losing it, counter-intuitively, release the brakes. You may save it/yourself. Enjoy the coffee and glad you're OK. Well done to the car/driver behind.

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
Nope, no braking at all. It was a very unexpected loss of grip, I've been round that bend loads of times, and as it is a short one way section that I was riding on (in Greenwich) the speeds are never that significant. I am usually very careful in the wet/damp, as I did have an off a few years ago when I exhibited an overconfidence in my tyres' ability to go round a very tight bend at full tilt, so it has made me wary.

Maybe there was something on the road that was factor. Maybe my tyres could have been run at slightly lower pressures. Maybe I just turned too sharply and as I said, wasn't concentrating enough. Or maybe 'better' tyres would help.

I've now read much of the "I Came Off" thread and it hasn't exactly helped!

Anyway, just a few sore bits to report and I'll be back on the bike on Monday, going slightly slower for a week or two....

Last edited by a moderator:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Maybe there was a patch of black ice? The only times I've fallen off the roadie was twice within two minutes, each side of the A6 on the Preston Guildwheel one winter's day when I rode over what looked like wet concrete and without warning slammed down, once on each side. How my son and my companions laughed!

Nowadays we use Veloflex Open Corsas, which have a soft compound and a file-pattern tread so are smooth-riding and quite outstandingly grippy in wet conditions but unfortunately as a cotton sidewall race tyre they are not very robust. At only £54 a pair from Ribble though I'm happy to trade short life for superb grip and amazing comfort.

Top Bottom