old tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
I just bought a used hybrid bike that is about 12 years old. it looked to me like it did not have many miles on it but it did look like it had been left outside for extended periods.

it still has the original tyres that have little wear. they did have some gree groth on them that I scrubed off. they seem fine for now after replacing the inner tubes but shouls I be looking to replace them or is there no need

Slick

Guru
12 years old is a good age for tyres.

I suppose it depends what your doing with it, but I would be much more comfortable changing them.

tyred

Legendary Member
Use them but keep an eye on them. As long as there's no deep cracks or lumps, they should be fine.

So long as they weren't sitting completely flat for years or stored in direct sunlight, they should be okay.

One of my bikes has tyres made in Czechoslovakia, which hasn't existed as a country since the early '90s, and I do ride it sometimes without issues.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Use them but keep an eye on them. As long as there's no deep cracks or lumps, they should be fine.

So long as they weren't sitting completely flat for years or stored in direct sunlight, they should be okay.

One of my bikes has tyres made in Czechoslovakia, which hasn't existed as a country since the early '90s, and I do ride it sometimes without issues.
I think I will go with this option. Maybe leave them on for now and get new ones as we get into spring

mercalia

As long as they are not perished should be fine. ie have cracks especially in the side walls. On the other hand tyres mature over time and get harder. Some experienced people like to keep a stock of old tyres for that reason as they are more reistant to punctures

DogmaStu

My oldest MTB bike has 23 yr old original tyres on it. Still seem fine. No cracks. I'd not be surprised if they did blow out but I'm not replacing them for what that bike is used for. Tyres can last a very long time with good care and minimal use.

On the bikes I do use regularly, I typically go through tyres every 2500-3000 miles; Conti GP5000's and Pirello P-Zero's.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
As long as they are not perished should be fine. ie have cracks especially in the side walls. On the other hand tyres mature over time and get harder. Some experienced people like to keep a stock of old tyres for that reason as they are more reistant to punctures

Even perished isn't generally too bad from a safety point of view - the strength of a tyre is in the nylon (usually) casing threads, not the rubber.
The hardening may reduce punctures, but it will also reduce grip.

Top Bottom