Is it possible for a track pump to wear out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
It's just the rubber washer in the head that wears with constant use. Inner tubes with threaded valve stems are rougher on the washer, although a bit of soapy water on the rubber before use, does help. My SKS rennkompressor has spare washers for both the push-on and MVA heads available. Any decent make of track pump should provide spare washers as well.

Reactions: DSK
My Zefal pump is at least 25 years old. I've replaced the head washer a couple of times but the thing is still working just fine.
Weighs a ton being made of some semi precious metal; plod will probably call it an offensive weapon if I carry it in the street.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

I ordered a new pump from Sigma sports yesterday, in fact its just arrived. Its a Bontrager one as the similar priced joe blow was out of stock and apparently the Bontrager has spare parts!

I've removed the head from the original pump and its shown below. I can't see how it comes apart but, if anyone can direct me to a replacement head, that would be great as the rest of the pump is brilliant and it would be a shame to throw it away.

50049663561_d4bda0a3af_z.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
A track pump really is a useful piece of equipment for a serious cyclist. I also like my gas inflator for use on the road, there's nothing worse than pumping away at a tiny little mini-pump by the roadside. It looks like an act of self-abuse.

• Laugh

rrarider

Veteran
I've removed the head from the original pump and its shown below. I can't see how it comes apart but, if anyone can direct me to a replacement head, that would be great as the rest of the pump is brilliant and it would be a shame to throw it away.

I would guess that most hoses have similar inside and outside diameters and are made of rubber, so any make of head would probably fit your hose. I'm guessing that you mainly use Presta valves, so the SKS push-on head would work well for you. If you like it, get some spare washers. SJS are selling it for £5 at the moment.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Great, I'll grab a couple of heads/washers and and put them in the spares tin.

I have to admit, this thread's been an eye opener as I thought that if a pump for any reason does not work, then its a case of buy a new one. Quite nice to see that replacement heads are available at reasonable prices.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I ordered a new pump from Sigma sports yesterday, in fact its just arrived. Its a Bontrager one as the similar priced joe blow was out of stock and apparently the Bontrager has spare parts!

View attachment 532674
You're old pump is now totally useless ,do not believe people who tell you replacement heads are easily available on eBay amazon etc and internal hose diameter is common to most makes.I will come round and collect this now useless piece of equipment from you.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Great, I'll grab a couple of heads/washers and and put them in the spares tin.

I have to admit, this thread's been an eye opener as I thought that if a pump for any reason does not work, then its a case of buy a new one. Quite nice to see that replacement heads are available at reasonable prices.
Everything was made in a factory and almost everything can be repaired if you can be bothered and you've got the time.

Brandane

Legendary Member
if anyone can direct me to a replacement head, that would be great

This is the one I bought for my Joe Blow, and the hose attachment looks the same as your old pump.... (but check first that the thread is the same size. I would bet that it is a standard thing).

https://www.condorcycles.com/produc...hose-for-track-floor-pump?variant=37352586506

A track pump really is a useful piece of equipment for a serious cyclist. I also like my gas inflator for use on the road, there's nothing worse than pumping away at a tiny little mini-pump by the roadside. It looks like an act of self-abuse.
That's why morphs are a good idea. No problems pumping with those.

silva

Über Member
Nowadays rubber isn't the rubber from some decades ago anymore.
I have some pumps as old as me, from my father, the seals are still like they were back then.
The ones I bought in bike shops the last decade, they all wore out, inner pump head parts broke, with the eco friendly / certified plastic alike rotting away.
I saved some pumps by using rubber from (electric) connection box cable entries.
Since a while, I buy pumps secondhand. Eventually that good 'ol stuff pops up here and there on flea markets etc, with sellers unaware of it, and then I show my 1 euro coin. :smile:

Top Bottom