Is it possible to keep feet dry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
I have tried numerous methods of keeping my feet dry on the rainy commute's to work but nothing has completely worked, usually leaving me with soggy feet and smelly shoes.

Things I have tried (so far) and the results:

• BBB Over shoes / Planet x over shoes - Both really good but they do end up leaking between the leg down into the shoe. (My biggest problem in heavy rain)
  • A bit of cling film over the top of shoe and ankle but under the overshoe.
  • Front full length guards - Big improvement eliminating most of the spray.

Even with these I still get soggy feet, the biggest problem seems to be when it pours down the water runs down my legs bypassing the overshoe straight into my shoes (yes they are done up tight)

Any solutions/suggestions would be very welcome :smile:

Citius

Ther are no suggestions worth taking seriously. If the roads are wet, your feet will get wet. The best overshoes will do is keep your feet warm, and keep your shoes relatively clean.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Waterproof boots and/or waterproof socks will help. Ultimately nothing I have found keeps you totally dry for hours on end.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
There needs to be an overshoe with a large silicone bead that contacts the skin directly at the ankle, I'm sure this would help a bit but would probably be uncomfortable :/

U

User6179

I was thinking of getting neoprene calf supports and overlap them over the overshoes for this winter .

calf_support.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
No.

But overshoes are worth wearing.

Drago

Legendary Member
Decent sockets and if you're really, really desperate cover you feet in carrier bags before putting your shoes on, but really you need to accept there's no real way of stopping it, only minimising it.

I use Planet X overshoes and for relatively budget jobs have found them to be excellent both thermally and for waterproofness.

Katherine

Guru
You can get waterproof socks. Aldi did them last winter.
Also , shoes with fabric panels and vents soak up and let rain in. Leather shoes that can be dubbined keep your feet dry.

Citius

You can get waterproof socks. Aldi did them last winter.
Also , shoes with fabric panels and vents soak up and let rain in. Leather shoes that can be dubbined keep your feet dry.

The trouble with waterproof socks is that they have a big hole in the top where your foot goes in - same with shoes. Anyway, none of that will keep your feet dry in the rain. Nothing will.

Katherine

Guru
The trouble with waterproof socks is that they have a big hole in the top where your foot goes in - same with shoes. Anyway, none of that will keep your feet dry in the rain. Nothing will.

It's easier in the winter when you get a good seal with the overshoes and winter trousers. I expect it's harder with bare legs.

Top Bottom