Is it possible to still buy a cup and cone BB...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think it would be a case of visiting a few shops and seeing if they have any lying about in a drawer in the workshop. I doubt very much if they are made anymore.

Don't know why you are bothering personally. Ten quid on a fit and forget cheapo every couple of years or so sure beats the hell out of faffing about with ball bearings and lockrings.

Peyote

Almost all the cheap and cheerful Halfrauds/Argos £30 special MTBs have old-skool cup and cone BBs, so someone, somewhere is still churning out thousands of these!

Actually getting hold of one could be a bit more difficult. Last time I tried I had to go down Smokin Joe's route and ask around at several shops, but they are still around it's just a case of finding them.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bikes of macclesfield 01625 611375 is the sort of place that will have a box of these on a shelf somewhere. i reckon he'd post them if macc is too far to come, and he takes switch etc so over the phone should be ok.

anyone that can come up trumps when i've thrown away the handlebar mounts for my sora levers has got to be worth a punt.

yenrod said:
For a chainset...as I liked these compared to the fit and pretty much forget sealed type...

Why would you bother? I spent years cleaning regreasing, getting the tension JUST so, slackening and tightening. Then the sealed units came out. Wahay= screw it in and ride your bike.

Don't be old school just for the sake of it. Yes Carradice, No cup and bearing brackets.

skwerl

Royce make very nice ones. Top end are Titanium and about 250 quid. They are useful if you want to adjust your chainline on a fixed-hub bike

skwerl

Twenty Inch;42343][quote name= said:
Royce make very nice ones. Top end are Titanium and about 250 quid. They are useful if you want to adjust your chainline on a fixed-hub bike

Now that I didn't know - thanks.[/quote]

before you get excited we're talking about a few mm either way. Often though, that's enough.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Twenty Inch;42276][quote name= said:
For a chainset...as I liked these compared to the fit and pretty much forget sealed type...

Why would you bother? I spent years cleaning regreasing, getting the tension JUST so, slackening and tightening. Then the sealed units came out. Wahay= screw it in and ride your bike.

Don't be old school just for the sake of it. Yes Carradice, No cup and bearing brackets.[/QUOTE]

See your point TWENTY except they are stiffer too ! :ohmy:

Top Bottom