Is it possible to use in Carrera bikes tyres 700x28c? Anybody are using these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone.

Somebody knows if it is possible to use 700x28c Tyres in Carrera roads bike like:
Zelos, Virtuoso, Vanquish. (I think all of them use the same wheel and similar frame).

I´m planning to buy a new road bike maybe a Carrera but I would like to use the tyres that I’m using in my old road bike 700x28c (Marathon Schwalbe).

Is it possible?
Is the frame big enough?
Do the wheels have proper inner width?
Somebody could tell me the inner width on the Carrera wheels?

Thanks a lot.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd ask at Halfords and get them to fit the new tyres...assume a new bike

DRM

Guru
My Carrera Zelos has Michelin Lithion2 25mm tyres on, which are comfy enough, I think 28mm may fit, if you can get the actual measurement across your tyres, you could go to Halfords and check in the flesh at the narrowest part of the frame, I feel you won't have a problem with the space in the fork.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I´m planning to buy a new road bike maybe a Carrera but I would like to use the tyres that I’m using in my old road bike 700x28c (Marathon Schwalbe).
The maker's spec should give you a limit to the tyre width but it's not easy to find. As @DRM says, go into a Halfords and measure between the chainstays and seatstays. My contribution is to say that my Schwalbe Marathon + 28 was actually over 30mm wide on a 15c rim at 90psi. You might wish to measure how wide your tyres actually are, to inform your purchase.

Andrew1971

Veteran
Hi All
I think 28 will be too wide for the back. 25 most likley the biggest. My other half has the carrera zelos
road bike. If you going to be putting mudguard's on i would stay with the 23.
Andrew

DRM

Guru
Mine has 25mm tyres on as I previously posted, it also has full mudguards front & rear, the vavaert ones from Planet X, the tyres are far, far superior to the awful CST things it came with.

Roadie82

I know it's an old thread but I have been searching for an answer to this for a while and decided to take the plunge.
I have the 2017 (blue) Zelos and it is currently on 700 28 schwalbe delta cruisers with no problem whatsoever. Plenty enough clearance. The tyres might not be for everyone but as a test case I thought someone might benefit from knowing

Stevomac1976

Hi there. Appreciate it’s an old thread but I have same dilemma. Bought a virtuoso as a winter commute and Want to put as big tyre as I can onto it as possible. I have mud guards on as well. Currently got the stock slick kendas 700x25. Any views on whether the marathon 700x28 will fit (incl mud guard).

Ps im not a racer and brought up on MTB only just bought a gravel bike (cannondale tops-tone105) hence the preference for bigger tyres.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
In my experience the increased dimension when you move a size up on tyres tends to be in circumference rather than width. I've run a 23/25 combo before and width wise they were impossible to tell apart.

Take the bike to a decent LBS and they should be able to tell you.

Slioch

Guru
The answer depends if you're going to fit mudguards or not.

I've got a Virtuoso as my winter bike, fitted with SKS mudguards and 700x25 Rubino Pro tyres. There is just enough clearance. If I ride on wet, muddy roads though, then eventually the mud picked up and trapped inside the mudguard will start to rub on the tyre at the narrowest point (under the bridge on the front mudguard), requiring occasional stopping and cleaning out with a handy twig or suchlike. I think I'm at the max and wouldn't try to fit a 28c tyre because of this.

If I didn't have mudguards though, then there would be no problem with the clearance for 700x28 tyres.

Stevomac1976

Yeah I have mudguard on- well the rear anyway. Might just get 700x25 then based on your experience.

Out of curiosity how did you manage to put the front guards on. Due to the design of the bolt that holds the brake calliper on to the stock (it’s got a recess hole the bolt sits into from the back is too big to fit through the hole in the mounting bracket).

Top Bottom