Is it possible to use in Carrera bikes tyres 700x28c? Anybody are using these?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by industrial.carlos, 18 Nov 2016.

1. industrial.carlos

industrial.carlos Member

Hello everyone.

Somebody knows if it is possible to use 700x28c Tyres in Carrera roads bike like:
    Zelos, Virtuoso, Vanquish. (I think all of them use the same wheel and similar frame).

I´m planning to buy a new road bike maybe a Carrera but I would like to use the tyres that I’m using in my old road bike 700x28c (Marathon Schwalbe).

Is it possible?
    Is the frame big enough?
    Do the wheels have proper inner width?
    Somebody could tell me the inner width on the Carrera wheels?

Thanks a lot.

2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I'd ask at Halfords and get them to fit the new tyres...assume a new bike

3. OP
    OP
    industrial.carlos

industrial.carlos Member

I asked this question in Halford and they told me:

Maybe you can use these tyres but I can't guarantee...

4. DRM

DRM Über Member

My Carrera Zelos has Michelin Lithion2 25mm tyres on, which are comfy enough, I think 28mm may fit, if you can get the actual measurement across your tyres, you could go to Halfords and check in the flesh at the narrowest part of the frame, I feel you won't have a problem with the space in the fork.

5. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

The maker's spec should give you a limit to the tyre width but it's not easy to find. As @DRM says, go into a Halfords and measure between the chainstays and seatstays. My contribution is to say that my Schwalbe Marathon + 28 was actually over 30mm wide on a 15c rim at 90psi. You might wish to measure how wide your tyres actually are, to inform your purchase.

6. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

On a carrera grade roadbike, the more clearance the better. They are not built for winning races.

7. Andrew1971

Andrew1971 Senior Member

Hi All
    I think 28 will be too wide for the back. 25 most likley the biggest. My other half has the carrera zelos
    road bike. If you going to be putting mudguard's on i would stay with the 23.
    Andrew

8. cyberknight

cyberknight Legendary Member

Indeed , i have 23s on my vanquish and the clearances are tight on the front .

9. DRM

DRM Über Member

Mine has 25mm tyres on as I previously posted, it also has full mudguards front & rear, the vavaert ones from Planet X, the tyres are far, far superior to the awful CST things it came with.

10. Roadie82

Roadie82 Member

I know it's an old thread but I have been searching for an answer to this for a while and decided to take the plunge.
    I have the 2017 (blue) Zelos and it is currently on 700 28 schwalbe delta cruisers with no problem whatsoever. Plenty enough clearance. The tyres might not be for everyone but as a test case I thought someone might benefit from knowing

Banjo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice