Is it possible to use in Carrera bikes tyres 700x28c? Anybody are using these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
Out of curiosity how did you manage to put the front guards on. Due to the design of the bolt that holds the brake calliper on to the stock (it’s got a recess hole the bolt sits into from the back is too big to fit through the hole in the mounting bracket).

On my set-up, the hole on the mudguard mounting bracket was large enough to accept the bolt that holds the brake calliper, but the mudguard was too close to the tyre (i.e. only a couple of millimeters of clearance, and any mud build-up on the mudguard caused rubbing against the tyre. I wanted to raise the mudguard to increase the clearance, so just used a file to increase the size of the hole on the mudguard mounting bracket to allow me to raise the height of the mudguard to increase the clearance from the tyre as much as possible. So instead of 2mm of clearance, I've not got about 5mm. Still not perfect, but better than it was.

The mounting bracket is only soft alloy, so a bit of careful filing to increase the hole size should be ok.

Stevomac1976

Yes I was thinking of that. Although the nature of the bolt bit doesn’t have much of a head area to hold against the bracket. I have these.
9C44F821-55B7-4E05-B6F9-3C673609EDA4.png

Ajax Bay

Guru
On my set-up, the hole on the mudguard mounting bracket was large enough to accept the bolt that holds the brake caliper, but the mudguard was too close to the tyre . . . I wanted to raise the mudguard to increase the clearance, so just used a file to increase the size of the hole on the mudguard mounting bracket to allow me to raise the height of the mudguard to increase the clearance from the tyre as much as possible. So instead of 2mm of clearance, I've got about 5mm.
The mounting bracket is only soft alloy, so a bit of careful filing to increase the hole size should be ok.
Like this (Note: I have also sawn the top off: it serves no function (and actually allows one to drop the guard off by just loosening the brake bolt rather than unscrewing it completely.)

I know it's an old thread but I have been searching for an answer to this for a while and decided to take the plunge.
I have the 2017 (blue) Zelos and it is currently on 700 28 schwalbe delta cruisers with no problem whatsoever. Plenty enough clearance. The tyres might not be for everyone but as a test case I thought someone might benefit from knowing

Thinking of getting the same 700x28 on my 2020 blue Zelos. Are they good tyres?

Update if anyone can help?

I went to halfords today with my new 700x28c tyres for my Carrera Zelos road bike. They said the tyres won't fit due to not fitting with the breaks, then saying max you can have on these is 25c. Has anyone put 700x28c on their carrera zelos? I just have that feeling they will fit is all lol....

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm somewhat mystified why you have taken the tyres (and presumably the bike) to Halfords. If the tyres are beyond the official spec size for the bike the only way you are going to find out whether they will physically fit in the available clearances is to mount the things on the rims yourself, inflate them to max pressure, and see if they rub anywhere. Either they are going to work or they won't, and even different tyres of the same nominal size are to some extent variable in actual size anyway. Paper spec figures are only a ball-park guide at best.

vickster

Legendary Member

I went to halfords today with my new 700x28c tyres for my Carrera Zelos road bike. They said the tyres won't fit due to not fitting with the breaks, then saying max you can have on these is 25c. Has anyone put 700x28c on their carrera zelos? I just have that feeling they will fit is all lol....
Why don’t you try to fit on one wheel yourself as above? They’ll either fit between the brakes or they won’t. You should learn change a tyre yourself anyhow before going out on the roads :okay:

Smudge

Veteran

I have 28 wide tyres on my Giant road bike, even when releasing the brake calipers, these 28 tyres will only clear the brake blocks if the tyre is flat. But i'm mostly only going to remove the wheel if the tyre is punctured anyway, i dont see it as an issue.
As long as you have clearance on the forks, seat stay and chain stay i wouldn't worry about it and just fit the 28 tyres.

Ajax Bay

Guru
my new 700x28c tyres for my Carrera Zelos road bike. [Halfords] said the tyres won't fit due to not fitting with the brakes.
I have 28 wide tyres on my Giant road bike, even when releasing the brake calipers, these 28 tyres will only clear the brake blocks if the tyre is flat. But I'm mostly only going to remove the wheel if the tyre is punctured anyway, . . .
you really need to remove the wheel with the tyre fully inflated, you can always release the brakes more by letting the cable out.
I run 28s on my rim-braked bike (@ 75/90psi - see below) and the limiting factor is not the stays or mudguards: the brake block clearance is the limiting factor.
I echo @Smudge 's comment but would add that if you do want to remove and replace the wheel with the tyre fully inflated (to stow in the boot of the car or for maintenance, say) then:
I'd prefer not to undo the brake cable clamp (because repeated clamping will increase the wear on the cable's strands and the hassle of getting it right under time pressure, perhaps). Using the little lever to open the brake blocks, combined with screwing the adjuster right in (having it set up right out) means I can push the tyre through the gap satisfactorily. After reinstalling a wheel, forcing the tyre through the still inadequate gap, reverse this process. Then take care to check the brake remains centred with equal gaps between rim braking surfaces and brake blocks both sides.
And out on the road with a puncture, getting the wheel out is no problem. Just remember to reinstall the wheel before pumping the tyre up. Good practice would be to pump up to maybe quarter pressure to make sure the tyre is properly seated on the rim, deflate and install.
To the OP: with this routine I reckon you'll find the 28s will 'fit'. Halfords are correct, but I've described the work-around. And the wider tyres will allow you to run at lower pressure and ride with greater comfort with minimal difference in rolling resistance. See graph below. As @vickster says, try it.
1587809156457.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom