Is it possible to use in Carrera bikes tyres 700x28c? Anybody are using these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Speed isn't my top priority, so it was definitely me worth going up to 28's, even with the brake block work around. More comfort and bikes feels better when sometimes used on tracks and loose gravel canal paths. Some tread and puncture protection is a bonus.

DRM

Guru
Update if anyone can help?

I went to halfords today with my new 700x28c tyres for my Carrera Zelos road bike. They said the tyres won't fit due to not fitting with the breaks, then saying max you can have on these is 25c. Has anyone put 700x28c on their carrera zelos? I just have that feeling they will fit is all lol....
In this instance I think Halfords are spot on, I have a Zelos that lives on the turbo now, I have a Verenti (wiggle in house brand) that has 28mm tyres, it has long drop brake calipers to fit round the wider tyres, the tektro calipers on the Zelos would catch the tyres I’m sure

Ajax Bay

Guru
If the rim brakes operated satisfactorily with a 25mm wide tyre, they will work fine on a 28mm one. @the snail and @C R do you think that if the OP mounts a 28mm tyre the brakes will rub on the tyre. Do you run 28mm tyres and rim brakes?

C R

Guru
If the rim brakes operated satisfactorily with a 25mm wide tyre, they will work fine on a 28mm one. @the snail and @C R do you think that if the OP mounts a 28mm tyre the brakes will rub on the tyre. Do you run 28mm tyres and rim brakes?
Sorry, not sure why I have been atted here, I don't have a bike with 28 tyres and rim brakes, and I don't remember commenting in this thread.

DRM

Guru
I agree: but as I said "Halfords are correct, but I've described the work-around".
But as I said my other bike has 28mm fitted, and has long drop brakes for the clearance, it's not just getting the wheels in, I'm sure the Tektro callipers will rub, but if the op wants to give it a go then fair enough, when I was using it outside it had 25mm tyres which worked ok.

The reason I went to Halfords at that time was i didn't have a presta valve pump or the adaptor to put on a schrader pump, as my last one broke, or tyre leavers.

After acquiring the parts I fitted the 700x28c tyres to the Zelos no problem. They fit fine and don't rub.

20200430-152553.jpg

20200430-152559.jpg

20200430-152616.jpg

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Girls!
The reason I went to Halfords at that time was i didn't have a presta valve pump or the adaptor to put on a schrader pump, as my last one broke, or tyre leavers (sic). After acquiring the parts I fitted the 700x28c tyres to the Zelos no problem.
@vickster "Why don’t you try to fit on one wheel yourself as above?"
See reply before you assume
You instantly thought replying to my original question on the matter, i couldn't do a simple change of a bike tyre
Richard :welcome: - there seemed (to us) no reason why you hadn't just fitted a tyre and tried it. @vickster therefore, perfectly reasonably, suggested you 'just do it'.
Her assumption was correct: you "couldn't do a simple change of a bike tyre" because you hadn't got a pump that fitted or tyre levers (what cyclist hasn't got tyre levers btw??)
Richard, as a newbie, I recommend that you don't try and 'take on' people giving you advice (especially not @vickster :boxing:), but just ease back, and if it's new information, add it to your already encyclopaedic knowledge base. One of the great things about CycleChat is that there are contributors out there who have 'knowledge' which may be accurate or in error, and failing that opinions/anecdotes/, which they take trouble to share.

Top Bottom