Is it really that funny?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Mr6 and I went to see Jack Dee at the Sands in Carlisle last night. To say I was excited is an understatement.
I love Jack Dee, and have always found him hilarious in the past, but I have to say I was a little disappointed and questioned whether I have indeed had a sense of humour bypass.
Within the first few minutes I was wondering if it was just me as everyone around me erupted in loud guffaws, and I quietly smiled to myself.
There were a few laugh out loud moments, but for the most part I was just mildly -and inwardly - amused.
Is it me? Is it really that funny?
When you watch comedians at home do you laugh so loudly, or is it just part of the whole experience?
I was more amused before the show at the number of people who couldn't find their seats, despite them being a simple letter and number system -and not forgetting that when you book you get to see them on a little diagram.
And what's with people turning up so late??
If a show starts at 8 then surely you want to be in your seat by 5to? About 100 people were still streaming in at 8 on the dot. And about 8 wandered in part way through the first half.

Koga

David Cameron can help, he knows what LOL means..

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
When you watch comedians at home do you laugh so loudly, or is it just part of the whole experience?
Live comedy is a shared experience and people tend to laugh more than they would at home.
Although watching a comic die on stage can be very painful too.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I wasn't disappointed by Lenny Henry, Ken Dodds and Billy Connolly

The chemistry of a comedy gig can be variable. Someone that I know went to see Ken Dodds went to one of his gigs and left early and when I say early I mean after the first four hours - Dodds was below par that night and the atmosphere was flat. I left my Ken Dodds gig with face ache from laughing so much. Two people sharing the same sense of humour had two different experiences with the same performer.

It's difficult. I love Jimmy Carr but saw him live and thought it was ok. Whole place was in raptures. Must just have been an off night for me.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The chemistry of a comedy gig can be variable. Someone that I know went to see Ken Dodds went to one of his gigs and left early and when I say early I mean after the first four hours - Dodds was below par that night and the atmosphere was flat. I left my Ken Dodds gig with face ache from laughing so much. Two people sharing the same sense of humour had two different experiences with the same performer.
Is he anything like Ken Dodd, the funny guy from Knotty Ash?

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
I wasn't disappointed by Lenny Henry Ken Dodds and Billy Connolly

Saw Billy a couple of times. First time was in 1994 (I think) and he was brilliant. Second time I saw him a few years later he just wasnt that good.

I think he had moved to the states and was talking about things a UK audience couldnt relate to.

longers

Legendary Member
We went to watch a humorous play last year and were baffled by some of the audience as the actors barely had to do anything and got roars of laughter for not a lot.

It'd have been interesting to ask the two actresses whether this happened a lot and they think "hang on, wait for the bits we've worked at and are genuinely funny" or any laugh is a good laugh if you're up on stage.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The only people who have exceeded my expectations live were Ken Dodd, Bill Bailey and Billy Connolly... like Vern we thought Ken Dodd was just fantastic! ...saw him at The Sands in Carlisle, he said he'd never performed in a Sports Centre before. He had the times of the last trains and buses so that people could leave in time to catch them, and brought his sandwiches on stage wrapped up in foil... we 'got out' just before half twelve!

Of the Mock the Week regulars, Chris Addison was a nasty piece of work and Milton Jones was a disappointment

Booyaa

Veteran
A friend of mine is a comedy writer and his fiancé is a stand up comedian, we've gone to shows together before and while I find the performance funny and have a chuckle, they are giving it full on belly laughs. I guess different people react in different ways.

Top Bottom