Is it rude to carry on using a mobile phone when.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rapples

Guru
How would the woman have felt if the till operator had carried on a conversation with the till operator in the next aisle whilst serving her. Bet she would not have liked that alternative situation.

I don't know, it's happened to me more times than I care to remember, but I'm sure they'd consider it very rude of me to interrupt them and butt in. I'm not bothered. In fact, I prefer it to the inane drivel some of them come up with trying to engage me in conversation. It can be quite irritating trying to feign interest in their lives.

At the end of the day the employee is there to provide what the customer wants, annoying them by imposing their own petty values, that they seldom reciprocate isn't in the job description. I'm with marzjennings, but I'd of got her to scan the entire trolley first before walking off.:hello:

Reactions: JtB

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Feck off.

Clearly PS was right.

GrasB

Veteran
No. I'm not in the shop for the conversation, I'm there to buy stuff. If that had happened to me I'd have just left my shopping there and gone to another store.
So am I. So be kind enough to buy your shopping quickly rather than delay everyone because you're not concentrating properly on the task of paying, enter the wrong pin/hand over the incorrect money, don't hear the checkout attendant properly or tell them the wrong thing that they then have to reverse etc.

So am I. So be kind enough to buy your shopping quickly rather than delay everyone because you're not concentrating properly on the task of paying, enter the wrong pin/hand over the incorrect money, don't hear the checkout attendant properly or tell them the wrong thing that they then have to reverse etc.

If folks are having problems maintaining a phone conversation while buying groceries I don't think the phone is the problem.

Plus I guess you just hate it when folks drag out their old cheque books.

Calm down, get some patience and learn to respect other people's space which includes how they wish to continue or not continue a private phone conversation.

One of the things I do not miss from home is the English's superficial notion of what good manners are supposed to be. We seem to find it perfectly allowable to be rude to another person because we feel they are not conforming to personal opinions of good manners.

The till girl felt the shopper was being rude and instead of dealing with the situation internally, made it worse by refusing service based on nothing more than a personal grievance.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Incredibly. Luckily working in a petrol station I can get away with telling people to put their phone down (And if they don't, sarcasm ensues). It's ignorant and downright rude to use your phone when interacting with another human being

You are relying upon a myth and general ignorance of science to enforce the no mobile phone rule....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/mar/20/mobilephones.ameliahill

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Whether or not the customer was rude by continuing to use her mobile is subjective and irrelevant. The customer did not need to stop using her mobile for her goods to be scanned and the checkout assistant was arrogant in believing she was justified in teaching a customer about what in her opinion were good manners. Good job Sainsbury’s apologised and dished up some free vouchers, I hope they also re-trained their checkout assistant on the basics of customer care.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Whether or not the customer was rude by continuing to use her mobile is subjective and irrelevant. The customer did not need to stop using her mobile for her goods to be scanned and the checkout assistant was arrogant in believing she was justified in teaching a customer about what in her opinion were good manners. Good job Sainsbury’s apologised and dished up some free vouchers, I hope they also re-trained their checkout assistant on the basics of customer care.
Thereis little doubt that the customer was rude and the arrogance was on the part of the customer treating the assistant with disdain.

It is quite obvious that someone needed to teach the customer some manners.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Yes, Sainsbury's have missed a trick there. It should be company policy and the assistant should be supported by the company BUT it should also be company policy that shop assistants shouldn't chat with each other while serving customers. That's equally rude.

Lullabelle

Banana
How would the woman have felt if the till operator had carried on a conversation with the till operator in the next aisle whilst serving her. Bet she would not have liked that alternative situation. Apart from anything you need to be concentrating on what the assistant is doing in case she makes a mistake (now my mind thinking of alternative ways of getting back at her, might have wanted her to scan a couple of things twice).

One thing I have noticed with mobile phones is mums pushing buggies. When my children were little I talked at them and then with them, when we were out and about. Now I see mum's pushing their buggies whilst holding long conversations with a friend rather than talking/interacting with the child.

A lot of mums have their headphones in their ears, how can you keep your kids safe when you completely ignore them?

Bigsharn

Veteran
You are relying upon a myth and general ignorance of science to enforce the no mobile phone rule....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/mar/20/mobilephones.ameliahill

Not quite. The reasoning behind the rule is "it happened once and we're not chancing it happening again". Which is a philosophy I wholeheartedly agree on.

Share that sarcasm please :biggrin:

"If you wish to blow yourself up you're welcome to do so, but not here."
"In case everyone is wondering why their pump has stopped, please direct your attention to the man on pump(x) on his mobile"

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Not quite. The reasoning behind the rule is "it happened once and we're not chancing it happening again". Which is a philosophy I wholeheartedly agree on.

It's not clear from the video just what he took from his pocket, might have been a torch or even a zippo lighter for all we can tell.
Where and when did that happen?

According to snopes there hasn't been an incident of a fuelling fire attributable to the use of a mobile phone.

«...after several reports in the United States where mobile phones were blamed for fires at gas stations, both the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA) and the American Petroleum Institute issued statements denying the risk. The CTIA said, "There is no evidence whatsoever that a wireless phone has ever caused ignition or explosion at a station anywhere in the world. Wireless phones don't cause gas stations to blow up. Warnings being posted in petrol stations simply perpetuate the myth." The American Petroleum Institute said, "We can find no evidence of someone using a cellphone causing any kind of accident, no matter how small, at a gas station anywhere in the world." »

GC

Top Bottom