Is it rude to carry on using a mobile phone when.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
I think its rude, i also agree with others that till assistants chatting away is also rude

Brandane

Legendary Member
learn to respect other people's space which includes how they wish to continue or not continue a private phone conversation.

It is hardly a "private phone conversation" if it is being conducted at the check-out in Sainsburys though. That's something else that hacks me off about mobile phone use. If you want to have a private conversation, then don't hold it on a train, in a shop, or any other public place for that matter. We don't want to hear it, but unfortunately we cannot close our ears in the way we can look away with our eyes.

Had I been that till operator (and well done to him/her for refusing to serve the ignorant customer) then I would have served her; but........I would have been accidentally scanning some of the more expensive items multiple times while the customers attention was focused on the call. Make 'em pay for their bad manners!

It is hardly a "private phone conversation" if it is being conducted at the check-out in Sainsburys though. That's something else that hacks me off about mobile phone use. If you want to have a private conversation, then don't hold it on a train, in a shop, or any other public place for that matter. We don't want to hear it, but unfortunately we cannot close our ears in the way we can look away with our eyes.

Make 'em pay for their bad manners!

So two people having a conversation bugs you, really. Just because one person is not actually present is a problem? Folks need to get over themselves and realize it's only going to become a more common occurrence.

And nice, to your second comment, I didn't realize you're a member of the good manner police.

Maybe one should finish or pause one personal interaction before starting a second interaction, I can see that. But one should not 'make 'em pay' because they are unaware of the one's own personal set of values.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There was a bit on the Breakfast news this morning where they covered this story and one of the people the reporter spoke to texted throughout their conversation. Asked whether it was OK she said yes as she could multi-task, then he asked her another question and she paused for a moment or two before being able to answer yes because she obviously couldn't multi-task!

There is a different level of distant concentration required when talking on the mobile as opposed to talking with someone next to you as evident in mobile phone use (including hands free) when driving. It's not dangerous when in a shop but the lack of investment in dealing with another human being is rude.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Trying to impose one's own subjective morals onto a customer is inappropriate and also rude in itself. If I did that to a customer and as a consequence they took their business elsewhere then I'd be out of a job.

Bigsharn

Veteran
It's not clear from the video just what he took from his pocket, might have been a torch or even a zippo lighter for all we can tell.
Where and when did that happen?

GC

Apparently at a Shell station in Brazil, what the guy did, is he used his phone light to check the dipstick and went boom.

cd365

Guru
Apparently at a Shell station in Brazil, what the guy did, is he used his phone light to check the dipstick and went boom.
So what spark was there from his phone to cause the explosion? I couldn't see it was a phone. he also stuck his head in a petrol tanker, not quite the same thing anyway.

There is no evidence to show that a mobile phone has caused any explosions, but you keep believing it. I have used my phone in a garage forecourt many times and not once have I been engulfed in a ball of flame.

Back to the OP, yes it is very rude to use the phone whilst someone is serving you, no basic manners and I hope she gets slated for it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23190261

Is it rude? Yes, as far as I am concerned.

Would I use a phone at the checkout? No.

Would I answer my phone at the checkout? Yes, but I would say I cant talk now, I will phone you back in a couple of minutes. And the I would apologise to the cashier.

But then, I work at a call centre and have to contend every day with customers being on several phones at once, or interrupting me so that they can have a face to face conversation in their workplace, or home or whatever, while keeping me hanging on. Which makes me disinclined to go the extra mile to help them......

Top Bottom