Is it the end of the amateur telescope?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have three of them and they are all in a cupboard and never used now. It is so easy now to go on Youtube and look at any planets and their moons close up, thanks to space exploration, that I don't see the need to go out and set a telescope that will give me very poor results compared to very clear photos from space crafts on or in orbit around the planets/moons,
I appreciate what professionals telescopes can do as they look deep into space to places we can't travel to but I think the traditional home telescope has had its day now.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I still get a buzz from looking at the moon through my small telescope. It wasn’t long ago I could vaguely see Saturn’s rings and Jupiter’s moons in the same southern sky. Don’t get rid of your telescopes - there’s nothing like seeing the night skies with your own eyes.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Nothing can really compare through a screen. With my 6 inch Meade refractor my eyepiece and my eye balls can draw circles. A computer screen cannot as it uses a series of dots. Sure, high resolution helps, but look at dim stars on a picture through your monitor and you'll see... For me there is a child like awe i have when i look through. I can see Mar's surface thanks to probes and robots, but that doesn't stop me wanting to look at Mars through my scopes. I just don't get that buzz sitting on my arse looking at whatever it is i want to look at...

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's always exciting to see Saturn's rings and the moon's topography through an amateur telescope... yes you can see them way closer up on screens, but it's so artificial in a way, they could be computer generated (or at least that's what my mind constantly tells me, even though I know that image is real).

There's something far more authentic about being out in the cold and seeing that light with your own eyes. It's magical, I don't think the amateur telescope has had its day yet.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It's always exciting to see Saturn's rings and the moon's topography through an amateur telescope... yes you can see them way closer up on screens, but it's so artificial in a way, they could be computer generated (or at least that's what my mind constantly tells me, even though I know that image is real).

There's something far more authentic about being out in the cold and seeing that light with your own eyes. It's magical, I don't think the amateur telescope has had its day yet.
The first thing i looked at was Saturn. Completely unbelievable to me. I remember seeing it on TV and in magazines but it don't really prepare you for seeing it for the first time. My first ever telescope it was a challenge to spot the cassini division in the rings, always a good test of the seeing conditions but also felt like an achievement with my small scope i used to have.

stephec

Legendary Member
Computers might be able to simulate a lot of things, but it's not the same as doing it for real.

As an example, I played a game of snooker against the computer earlier, whilst I enjoyed it it was no where near as a good as doing it for real in the club.

snorri

Legendary Member
I use my telescope for observing marine activities, but nowadays when I see a ship or marine structure in the distance with my naked eye I am more inclined to look on a website in order to identify it and get more information than the telescope can reveal.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've never really been avid about astronomy, yet always had an inbuilt wonder of it all and I cant tell you how exciting it was as it dawned on me I could see with my own eyes the moons of Jupiter, four sharp pinpricks of light...through a simple (but good) birdwatching scope.
In the scheme of things, it's a moment of wonder and excitement, nothing more, it's simply you see something you never thought you would....but it was a special moment for me. The internet photos have their place of course but its 'normal'.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've looked at countless pictures of the moon's surface over the years and spent hours going all over the moon on Google Sky... but seeing it 'close up' through a telescope for the first time took my breath away ...it's 3D!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The night sky is a wonder in its own right.
From the joy of identifying a star or a constellation, through looking at the craters on the moon and on to the planets. Computer screens have there place, but so do eyes and reality.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Would it be comparable with Zwift etc. and cycling?

Pedalling away, looking at a screen, getting exercise, but without the real fun of headwinds, drizzle and potholes..

There is life beyond screens, and maybe even at the other end of a telescope 🔭 👾

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Computers might be able to simulate a lot of things, but it's not the same as doing it for real.

As an example, I played a game of snooker against the computer earlier, whilst I enjoyed it it was no where near as a good as doing it for real in the club.
How on earth can you play snooker on a computer? My mind is boggling. I cannot fathom it. How?

stephec

Legendary Member
How on earth can you play snooker on a computer? My mind is boggling. I cannot fathom it. How?
It's a simulation, here you go.

Top Bottom