Is it the weather? Or are most cyclists insular?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
You’d think that with all the dopamine apparently released when cycling, the majority of riders would generally be happier and possibly more gregarious. Unfortunately, the evidence appears to be not. For many years I have ridden both cycle and motorbike and I latterly made a rather sad observation when comparing the two. When on my motorbike, it is noticeable how many other bikers will return a nod of recognition – about 75% in my experience. Not so on my cycle. I have got back into riding some serious miles during the last year and always try to greet a fellow cyclist with a smile and a ‘good day’. About a quarter return the gesture and another quarter will perhaps raise a hand or nod. The other half completely blank me. I accept there’s a chance that the sight of me in my lycra and spandex would make anyone lost for words, and that some might be exhausted or glum at the grind of cycling to work, but is a large section of the cycling communality so self-obsessed or miserable that they can’t muster even a little bit of joy and communicate? Or do I blame the government?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Do you have flat bars or drops?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Here we go again............

It really isn't important.
don't dis the brotherhood. ;)

though why it is folk think total strangers should interact with each other just because they share the same mode of transport is beyond me. Should I wave to everyone I walk past in the street who is wearing brown shoes?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
don't dis the brotherhood. ;)

though why it is folk think total strangers should interact with each other just because they share the same mode of transport is beyond me. Should I wave to everyone I walk past in the street who is wearing brown shoes?

And certainly not saying hello to the likes of you trendy fixie riders....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And certainly not saying hello to any runners/joggers.. bleedin' weirdos blocking the roads and pavements.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No one waves to me. I've got bullhorns.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
And certainly not saying hello to any runners/joggers.. bleedin' weirdos blocking the roads and pavements.
Actually there is a jogger on my route to work that I have a thing for. She waves I wink. And once I stopped at the village shop and she came in. It's ok though because I've told the lovely Helen.

D

Deleted member 23692

I often encounter a couple of chaps on road bikes whilst I'm out and about. Sometimes I'm on my road bike and sometimes on my MTB... Can you guess which bike prompts a response from them?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I always nod or raise the fingers of my right hand off the bars when passing other cyclists, 99% of the time they reply in like manner. The only people I don't always greet are chavs on BSOs 'cos they ain't real cyclists.

You’d think that with all the dopamine apparently released when cycling, the majority of riders would generally be happier and possibly more gregarious. Unfortunately, the evidence appears to be not. For many years I have ridden both cycle and motorbike and I latterly made a rather sad observation when comparing the two. When on my motorbike, it is noticeable how many other bikers will return a nod of recognition – about 75% in my experience. Not so on my cycle. I have got back into riding some serious miles during the last year and always try to greet a fellow cyclist with a smile and a ‘good day’. About a quarter return the gesture and another quarter will perhaps raise a hand or nod. The other half completely blank me. I accept there’s a chance that the sight of me in my lycra and spandex would make anyone lost for words, and that some might be exhausted or glum at the grind of cycling to work, but is a large section of the cycling communality so self-obsessed or miserable that they can’t muster even a little bit of joy and communicate? Or do I blame the government?

I never acknowledge other cyclists. However I will return an acknowledgement aimed at me. I dont take such stuff seriously.

Top Bottom