is it worth it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
OK,I have a cannondale killer v900 in bits in my shed.
would love to reserect it.But parts cost, any ideas for getting it back on the road. I need to loosen my teeth one more time and this bike with its pepperoni fork is a real boneshaker.
can't believe I've ridden this all over Europe. Or should I just buy a ribble and forget my glory days. Think I bought it in 96.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Only you know that. What would you be using it for?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
OK,I have a cannondale killer v900 in bits in my shed.
would love to reserect it.But parts cost, any ideas for getting it back on the road. I need to loosen my teeth one more time and this bike with its pepperoni fork is a real boneshaker.
can't believe I've ridden this all over Europe. Or should I just buy a ribble and forget my glory days. Think I bought it in 96.
defo worth it if it has sentimental value. Only you know what / how much needs doing, but a basic cable replace, new chain and lube up doesn't cost a lot

I'm sorting out my old Gary Fisher MTB at the moment, might actually sell it once done as it doesn't have a sentimental value to me, but its good to have a project on the go.

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
it needs everything replaced, that's my problem.
wheels, drivetrain soon adds up. the only bits worth saving are the frame, forks and handlebars. I suspect a new bike would not be far off the cost of restoration..
I need to break my emotional attachment to the damn thing.

weareHKR

Worth decent money if you put it back together & it's in decent condition, is it all LX/XT?
Pepperoni forks can be sought after depending on what they are?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Do you have a local bicycle co-operative? A Killer V is a fine bike. I do not know if they make them like that anymore. Cannondale got sold to Dorel a few years ago, and I do not know how the brand has fared since. But a co-op could source some period or updated parts and get you back on the road and trail for far less than a comparable preset day bike like it, probably with higher quality and less cash.

As a project to build classic bike it'll be worth it but not cheap. As bike you want to ride to keep up with mates who'll have disc brakes, suspension, and other improvement, it'll be cheaper and better just to buy a new bike. I have a super v frame with moto forks somewhere in the garage which I'd love to rebuild, but as something to cruise, sell or hang on the wall, not to seriously ride off road as I know it will suck compared to my newer bikes.

Top Bottom