is it worth pay the big price tag on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Speedking

Speedking

Regular
do you think shops will let me try ride with out buying cause i have never been on a RB

Norm

do you think shops will let me try ride with out buying cause i have never been on a RB
Some shops will, and shops that won't let you try are not worthy of your money. My local Giant stockist don't allow bikes out of the shop until they've been purchased, whereas my local Spesh dealer let me take one for "as long as you need to make sure it is right for you". Since discovering this, I've bought 3 Specialized bikes.

OP
OP
Speedking

Speedking

Regular
yeh cause i know all the bikes a locked up an im kind of thinknig how am i supposed to try it an i dont wanna ask an be wasting there time. annoying small shops an business seem to be more helpful. what specialized you have now?

Norm

Sirrus, Tricross Sport & Secteur Sport.

Relevant to this thread, I also have a Viking but it is from around 1980 and I've had it from new. ;)

OP
OP
Speedking

Speedking

Regular
im trying to weigh up all the stuff of what i read about cheap bikes but surely if you look after the bike it will stay in good condition?? an i thnk even spending over £150 on a bike is a lot but. so surely spending over £200 the bike should be good

Norm

It isn't quite like that, SK, as cheap components will wear, bend and break quickly, however well you try to look after them. For instance, bad wheels will have poor build and rough bearings, so they'll go out of true and run badly, bad gears will be difficult to adjust and keep running smoothly and will be more prone to bending, and bad brakes will be flexible and not stop you quickly. There's more but I'm sure you get the picture,

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I started on the basic boardman race model (£600) and it was excellent for about 1yr, until I sort of outgrew it and wanted something a bit better. Many good cheap bikes out there, but do try and go for a brand name with a good reputation (as mentioned on here) and stay away from the Tesco's type bikes. They might be cheap, but are really a false economy, as they will fall apart quickly.

Berties

Fast and careful!
buying a more expensive bike is part of the cycling journey for many,start with what suits your use and ability,and as your journey moves you want more,i have gone mountain bike,then a flat bar road bike then a full carbon number all the bikes still have there use so what do you get for your money? higher grades of components,lighter,speed ability to go further faster and quicker,every move up on your cycling journey you think the bike is the best then you try something new,you get fitter and more experienced ,you'll want more:bicycle:

OP
OP
Speedking

Speedking

Regular
yeh i fully understand that an if i could i would buy the best i could. im just thinking to myself i seee bikes that cost a lot an dont have some components where as some cheaper have them just a bit confusing

Top Bottom