Is life ever...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
out of control sometimes ? :sad:

A tale of woe, just getting it off my chest, so dont read if you want depressing :biggrin:

3 trips working abroad since February , and a very stressful time in Cyprus trying to get back during the volcanic eruptions.

Lost half a stone, cant put it back on for trying, and hardly any real mileage on the bike since Xmas is beginning to annoy me

Works manic, getting ready for an audit, everyones problem becomes my problem (i shouldnt complain, my job has many many plus sides).

Jake, my Labrador pup has just been Xray'd and they've confirmed its a bad case of hip displaisia (sp). One of his hip knuckles is completely out of its socket, the other is only half held properly. An operation IRO £2500 per hip was muted, but thats out the window now because evidently once arthritis sets in (and it does quick)...the ops a no no.
So its pain relief and maybe once he's a year old he'll manage ok, but the downside is at 5, 6 or 7 years old he'll struggle and it'll probably mean we will have to put him down at an early age....or at 1 year they may remove the joints and he'll recover well, but as age progresses, we'll have the same problem. Thank the lord for pet insurance.

Ran over a squirrel this morning on the bike....i thought that just about does it :smile: poor little thing, that just made things worse...only to get a phone call this aftenoon, mums had a fall and they were worried about a stroke, which turned out to be a load of nonsense (hopefully). She's smacked here face again after a previous fall...

Think i'll stay in bed tomorrow....almost darent get on the bike with my luck at the moment :biggrin: A visit from the puncture fairies almost guaranteed.

Sod the first half of 2010....sun will be here soon, here's looking up and forward:tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nasty.... glad you have pet insurance though - shame for the pup, but at least he'll get good treatment.

Hope mum's OK too - do keep a close eye out for stroke symptoms though.... although we all fall over sometimes.....:biggrin:

Good job the pesky squirrel didn't snap your forks in half though :sad: - so a plus side.....and despite them being cute, they are vermin....(greys not reds)

Chin up, the sun is coming out and we might top 20c this week........:biggrin:

Oh and work is work...... and crap..............:smile:

TVC

Wow, tough breaks, here's hoping the sun brings more uneventful times and a good solution for Jake can be found.

KevinG

It does seem like its out of control sometimes. You are right though the first half of this year has been rubbish tbh.

That's a a run of very bad luck and all at once.

As you say, the sun's on its way and things will get better by themselves.

Hope your mum and dog are fine after all.

Arch

Married to Night Train
KevinG said:
That's a a run of very bad luck and all at once.

Indeed. And of course, the more things happen coincidentally, the more we notice them.

Here's to a better time soon!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Thanks for the thoughts all :smile:

And out of control doesnt mean you have to accept it all the time. (if that makes sense :biggrin::biggrin:)
Work hours and days are very variable, to the point you dont know whether you're off or on one day or what time you're going home. This was beginning to contribute to a feeling of loss of control of ones life (ooh, ones life..posh innit :sad:)

Bogger it...went to see the bosses the other day and 'suggested' forcefully i finish work at 5pm each day (unless there are problems that require my presence) and i dont want to be put down for Sunday working unless absolutely neccessary.

Nice to regain a little control sometimes.

The joys of working in an industry that supplies the supermarkets...all the moneys been sucked out of the businesses and you're becoming so flexible you're actually beginning to compromise your home life. Sod em :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
gbb said:
all the moneys been sucked out of the businesses and you're becoming so flexible you're actually beginning to compromise your home life. Sod em :biggrin:

Amen, I've been making waves after becoming a little peed off. Hope I don't get capsized when they bounce back :smile:

Best wishes for your mum and Jake. Did you have x rays done for a hip score before you took him?

gbb said:
Lost half a stone, cant put it back on for trying, and hardly any real mileage on the bike since Xmas is beginning to annoy me

Why worry?

Stick with it gbb - things sometimes feel insurmountable - and yes, they are. However, little by little, understanding how to manage these things also creeps in...and slowly.Very slowly, your sense of 'coping' returns in a more ordered fashion - the way you expect it to be.

Good luck for everything that is pushing against you...it can't be easy.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
gbb said:
Nice to regain a little control sometimes.

The joys of working in an industry that supplies the supermarkets...all the moneys been sucked out of the businesses and you're becoming so flexible you're actually beginning to compromise your home life. Sod em :ohmy:
That's the spirit :smile:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
longers said:
Amen, I've been making waves after becoming a little peed off. Hope I don't get capsized when they bounce back ;)

Best wishes for your mum and Jake. Did you have x rays done for a hip score before you took him?

You live and learn...no.
Jakes the third Labrador we've had, never been a problem for the other two. To be honest, we did'nt go into it properly but talking to the vets its extremely difficult to know whether you'll get a bad one because even if the parents have good hip scores...it can and does sometimes manifest itself in their pups.
If we have another Labrador in the future..all efforts will be made to get the right one.

Also talking to the vets, what we have now is the same problems Alsatians had 10/15 years ago. A huge problem with their hips. The Alsatian breeders were taken to task years ago and now they have far far fewer problems. As the vet said, Labradors have become hugely popular and people are breeding without any regulation or control...and the problems are showing.

Its unfortunate...but he'll get the best we can give him in love and treatment and we'll just have to accept he wont be around as long as we first thought.

I really didnt realise the problem was so big with labs :wacko:

So if you want a lab, you have to assume even if their hip scores are good, its no guarantee, so add on the cost of XRays (about £220)....to the cost of buying a dog from a reputable breeder...for most people, its not going to happen is it ?

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
gbb said:
The joys of working in an industry that supplies the supermarkets...all the moneys been sucked out of the businesses and you're becoming so flexible you're actually beginning to compromise your home life. Sod em :sad:

Tell me about it. If it's any consolation gbb, I've got a BRC audit coming up in 6 weeks, one of 3 per year, so I know exactly what you're going through, especially in regard to supplying the bloodsuckers :wacko:. If you pass the audit, everyone did well .... if you fail..... well, you're on your tod! Not that that's ever happened, couldn't afford to let it, but I know that would be the case.

Keep your chin up and I hope the next half of 2010 picks up for you. Think sunny thoughts ;).

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
snapper_37 said:
Tell me about it. If it's any consolation gbb, I've got a BRC audit coming up in 6 weeks, one of 3 per year, so I know exactly what you're going through, especially in regard to supplying the bloodsuckers :biggrin:. If you pass the audit, everyone did well .... if you fail..... well, you're on your tod! Not that that's ever happened, couldn't afford to let it, but I know that would be the case.

Keep your chin up and I hope the next half of 2010 picks up for you. Think sunny thoughts ;).

Yup, BRC audit it is. Nearly done now, audits next week. We've always passed with flying colours so the basics shouldnt cause any problems.

Came in the car today....hit a pigeon on the way :sad: Someones trying to tell me something :biggrin: I'm going to change my name to Jonah !!!
Anyone notice just how many doves and pigeons there are this year ???? Ive never seen so many.

You'll see, in two weeks i'll be moaning i've got nothing to do :biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom