Is modern winter cycling clothing less safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Has the move to ever-thinner technical fabrics meant that there's less padding when you crash in winter? I mean, I'm riding around on retro roadsters in a fleecy beanie, thick fleece jacket, thick jumper, lined trousers and sometimes thermals underneath, whereas others are in only thermal bibs and thin tops and what is laughingly called a rain cape these days (looks like a thin jacket but I'm sure it's really really high tech). I'm sure it's fine when you're upright, but surely that's got to be less cushioning if you do have a little lie down on the tarmac?

A possible confounding factor may be that I'm cutting a larger Michelin-man-shape hole in the air and I know I'm a few mph slower in winter which probably would reduce the pain of any crash too. I've not crashed yet this winter but I got it a bit sideways on a patch of semi-frozen mud today, diced over ice where another rider (unseen by me) broke their hip at an event last weekend and started thinking after reading @Rooster1's post earlier today.

So much safer to crash in the summer months when the ground is softer.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So much safer to crash in the summer months when the ground is softer.
Nah, the sand squidges more in winter and the peat is bouncy whenever. Sadly the tarmac is still blooming hard - we really need that rubber playground surface but the cars would wear it out too quickly. Bloody motorists, spoiling it for people cycling again :laugh:

Nah, the sand squidges more in winter and the peat is bouncy whenever. Sadly the tarmac is still blooming hard - we really need that rubber playground surface but the cars would wear it out too quickly. Bloody motorists, spoiling it for people cycling again :laugh:
Slidier in winter, lycra glides across ice

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've often thought the same @mjr looking at the skinny road cyclists with just tiny lycra on, they must surely have very little cushioning in case of a fall ... unlike me :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cars are just as hard winter or summer. I can't say I crash more in winter.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Eat Cake! It's for your own safety!

ginger cake saved my life.jpg

Top Bottom