Is modern winter cycling clothing less safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Does rather emphasise the OP's question though

This was an "Original" Ginger cake
jamaica-ginger-cake.jpg

Would a modern Ginger cake have afforded the same protection?

IDShot_540x540.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
Does rather emphasise the OP's question though

This was an "Original" Ginger cake
View attachment 334688

Would a modern Ginger cake have afforded the same protection?

View attachment 334689
Thanks, yes, it makes perfect sense know, I had always wondered why we were told to carry Malt loaf in our back pockets in the old days....;)

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jamesramsden.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2010%2F01%2Fphoto1.jpg

I'll accept a bit more friction and possible road rash in exchange for more padding if I fall :smile:

Well padded offers a better cushion and suggests travelling at a lower speed die to air resistance and less general "hammer alongness" so if you come off it's lower speed so a bounce that requires the padding.

High tech and sleek suggests a few more mph so slide rather than bounce with padding inot coming into play as much.

Done both, and guess what?...they both :B):cry:

All uphill

Still rolling along
My concern with being underdressed in winter is that I quickly cool off when I have a puncture or mechanical; it hasn't happened to me yet, but I could imagine quickly becoming too cold to manhandle a Marathon + back onto a rim.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well padded offers a better cushion and suggests travelling at a lower speed die to air resistance and less general "hammer alongness" so if you come off it's lower speed so a bounce that requires the padding.
Is the air resistance over padding more or less than that over rippling/flapping? I'm assuming ordinary lycra and that everyone isn't stretching the extreme tight-fit skin suits over themselves in winter.

My concern with being underdressed in winter is that I quickly cool off when I have a puncture or mechanical; it hasn't happened to me yet, but I could imagine quickly becoming too cold to manhandle a Marathon + back onto a rim.
Both sealant canisters and handwarmers are useful, but yes, the "I will walk/jog home" distance is longer when it's cold!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Smashing thread revival 👍

grldtnr

Ride a recumbo trike, you can still crash,( l know to my own costs) but you won't fall on the ice, you might unexpectedly be going the wrong way/down the hill, I know that too!
Having tried to climb an ice sheathed hill on mine , lost traction ,then started sliding all over the place , ended up going sideways down hill into the pack, what fun !:laugh::wacko::laugh::wacko::laugh::wacko::blush:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
sooo

wearing camouflage is good????

makes the kids round here riding in black jeans, trainers and hoodie seem like blackpool lights!!!!

personally I wear hi-vis and reflective - and loads of lights if needed
I wear regular clothing no hi viz just decent bike lights. Wouldn't dream of wearing any 'cycling' clothing myself but I appreciate others think it's wrong. Never been killed or run over in 40 plus years in all environments.

Top Bottom