is mud corrosive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember losing mine. Must have been well past 5.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chuffy said:
I remember losing mine. Must have been well past 5.

well I can't remember it at all, so i must have been less than 5- as i can remember when i was 5. (albeit hazily)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you have had your teeth capped - apparently the expected life-span is 10 years - well that was what I was told years and years ago.... My caps are now well over 20 years old (bike accident and falling down a slide - different teeth), and I'm not telling them they are past it.

And most kids milk teeth START falling out at 5 or 6, and keep falling out until about age 12 -13.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If I might offer some professional knowledge of mud...

I very much doubt that any mud you encountered could be 'corrosive' enough to unglue your tooth, damage your camelbak, or corrode your brake pads. While different soils do have different levels of acidity or alkalinity, enough to dissolve some types of artefact, we're talking about over periods of years, decades, centuries even. Also, anything corrosive enough to damage stuff like that, so quickly, would damage your skin first - so unless you have extensive chemical burns to your face, I think we can rule corrosion out.

Physical abrasion is more likely. Your brake pads, I suggest, have been ground away, suggesting that this particular mud had a larger particle size, more sandy than silty. You said you had what, a whole 'half mm' when you set out? Don't think it would take long for that to wear away in the right sort of mud.

Your tooth, I suspect just reached the end of it's life, coincidentally. Perhaps got shaken up on the ride, and that was the final straw.

Humans start to lose their milk teeth at around 5 or 6, with the incisors, canines and first molars replaced first up to the age of about 9. Premolars are replaced at about 10 - 12 and the molars from about 13 to 21 (the wisdom teeth).

Dave5N

Über Member
Arch said:

Humans start to lose their milk teeth at around 5 or 6, with the incisors, canines and first molars replaced first up to the age of about 9. Premolars are replaced at about 10 - 12 and the molars from about 13 to 21 (the wisdom teeth).

Abitrary (sic) lost all of his by 3 or 4. Is that yet more evidence he/it is inhuman?

Dave5N

Über Member
I mean, we already have evidence he can't eat Earth-food and is forced to exist on a monotonous diet of Domino pizza.

Must be all the salt he needs. I have it on expert authority* that long periods of space travel severely depletes your sodium levels.

* well, alright. MIB.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Thanks for the rational explanation Arch :sad:
where i was riding round ladybower is in the 'dark peak' and is apparently characterized by gritstone, as opposed to the limestone that is in the 'light peak' in the more southerly regions of the peak district.
The term 'gritstone' to me suggests large particle size like you say, and I suppose it makes sense that it therefore has abrasive properties.

Abitrary

Just having another think about this, I think it's worth taking into consideration weather conditions.

The coldness, damp and salt in the air at this time of year could easily have exacerbated the situation, and in fact been the precipitating factor.

So yes, environmental factors in coiincidence with geo-dental factors would have caused this to the extent of leaving little doubt.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dave5N said:
Must be all the salt he needs. I have it on expert authority* that long periods of space travel severely depletes your sodium levels.

* well, alright. MIB.

Not just from there. I am aware that a jump into hyperspace depletes salt and protein levels, from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Once again, Douglas was right first....:tongue:

Top Bottom