is mud corrosive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bonj said:
only due to mud flyingup and hitting me in the eye... and no before you say mudguards AREN'T the answer. A crudcatcher might be, but they only have limited effectiveness. I find squinting worked quite well actually, as your eyelashes are catching the mud before it actually hits the eyeball, and there's less area of eyeball exposed.

What about the two foot streak of shoot from your arse crack to your neck?

Always makes me laugh when I see 'em, especially when they are on a £2k bike. But mudguards aren't cool are they? But being covered in shoot is. Strange.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Disgruntled Goat said:
What about the two foot streak of shoot from your arse crack to your neck?

Always makes me laugh when I see 'em, especially when they are on a £2k bike. But mudguards aren't cool are they? But being covered in shoot is. Strange.

what about it?

Why does it matter whether it's "cool" or not? ;)

a mudguard would rattle about! probably hitting the back wheel in the process. extra weight you don't need aswell.
what's 'cool' doesn't really come into it. I don't not have mudguards because they're 'not cool', i don't have mudguards because they're of limited effectiveness - i'm going to get covered in mud anyway - so mudguards would be pointless.
If you want to go poncing about preening yourself over how great you look, fine - but that's not my cup of tea. I just do it for a fun ride.

Danny

Legendary Member
bonj said:
what about it?

Why does it matter whether it's "cool" or not? xx(

a mudguard would rattle about! probably hitting the back wheel in the process. extra weight you don't need aswell.
what's 'cool' doesn't really come into it. I don't not have mudguards because they're 'not cool', i don't have mudguards because they're of limited effectiveness - i'm going to get covered in mud anyway - so mudguards would be pointless.
The point is that if you used mudguards you might not get (so) covered in mud. What are you cycling through anyway, bogs and swamps?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Dannyg said:
The point is that if you used mudguards you might not get (so) covered in mud. What are you cycling through anyway, bogs and swamps?

Read my lips:
Mudguards. Get. In. The. Way.
Mudguards. Rattle. About.
Mudguards. Are. Unnecessary.

you don't need bogs and swamps to get covered in mud. I say covered, 'spattered' all over is probably a more accurate description. You don't need bogs and swamps, you only need to blast through a couple of muddy puddles and it flies everywhere.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Keith Oates said:
You've got a point bonj, but the cold wet feeling on your backside is not very pleasant in my book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well whatever you wear obviously isn't resistant enough to it then... my nike tights are obviously waterproof/mudproof enough to deflect the amount they get spattered by, and my jacket certainly is. Might be different if you're riding through mud all day, but i'm normally only out for 2 - 4 hours.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chuffy said:
In. The. Way. Of. What?

Legs? Arse? Back wheel? ;)

And don't say "well they don't on my bike" 'cos on an mtb going down a rocky path fast then would rattle about and even if they didn't touch the rotating wheel then they would rattle about (a) more than i'd be happy with and (:biggrin: too much to do the job they're meant to do.

The only time you should need mudguards are if you are riding at 10mph down a towpath which is muddy and you have nobbly tyres and a suit on and you need to be completely clean at the other end.
As to your story of arse chafing that you keep bringing up as 'proof' mudguards are necessary then I can only assume you must have been doing something out of the ordinary. Are you sure you didn't fall of INTO some mud? Or sit on a muddy bench - that's quite doable, yes - didn't think of that. perhaps your saddle was wet when you got on your bike. And if as you claim it was just due to mud flying up, how did it hit your arse and not your saddle, were you standing up for the whole duration of the ride? Obviously you're standing up when mtbing, but the mud's not going to actually dry.

Abitrary

Im kind of with bonj on the mudguards thing, to the extent that I can take or leave them.

And I think in their heart of hearts most people feel the same i.e. its ok putting them on, but if some goes wrong and you have to take them off again... and then put them on again....

Well to me that just equals emotional turmoil, and Id much rather get dirty

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
bonj said:
As to your story of arse chafing that you keep bringing up as 'proof' mudguards are necessary then I can only assume you must have been doing something out of the ordinary. Are you sure you didn't fall of INTO some mud? Or sit on a muddy bench - that's quite doable, yes - didn't think of that. perhaps your saddle was wet when you got on your bike.
Bonj, have you ever sat behind anyone else riding a bike? You'll notice their bum covers the saddle and extends over the back of it. If you follow them, and it's raining, and they don't have mudguards you'll notice that a plume of muddy cack comes off the top of the tyre and sprays itself in a nice line right up their bum-crack, back, neck, etc.

If you follow them for a long distance in conditions like this, and then ask to look at their arse on arrival at your destination you can probably guarantee that you'll see something that would make a baboon wince.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

no, that would only happen if they had microscopic rear-facing digger buckets on their tyres' tread.

all I can say is repeat what i always say, which is that after riding 25 miles, sometimes in rain, the only mud is a mild smattering on the back of my reflective vest. never get any on my arse. Maybe 'cos i've got one of those jackets which has got a lower back than front? although there's never much mud on there.

Are you saying I should get mudguards because it's therefore "not fair" and I 'should' get more mud on me? :rolleyes:

Abitrary

Cash-rich part-time cyclists tend to worry a lot about mudguards.

Its a concern lower down the list for fulltime serious utility cyclists who just need to get from a to b with minimum fuss.

Keith Oates

Janner
bonj, the only way to prevent getting water and mud on your bottom when cycling in the rain is to go so slowly that the spray doesn't reach up that far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom