Is my bike dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nilling

Über Member
Had a SMIDSY last Tues morning when a car turned right in front of me. The bike stopped and I went over the handlebars. Anyway, its a Ribble 531C and the fork and headset took the full impact. I think I know the answer but I'll ask the question anyway; is it dead?

Attachments

• crease2.jpg
    crease2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 261
  • headstock.jpg
    headstock.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 264
RIP Ribble 531C

Hope you claimed on the car drivers insurance.

battered

Guru
It might polish out.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile back in the real world the only fix is for a framebuilder to remove the bent tubes and lugs and replace them with it mounted in a jig. By the time Ribble have done this and repainted it it may not be far short of a new frame in cost. That said, it will be totally 100% safe.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What they said nilling, sorry :-(

If you really love the frame, you could ask a local restorer for a quote (Mercian are in Derby - I know they do repaints, not sure if they replace tubes). Otherwise, new frame.

Grasen

What they said nilling, sorry :-(

If you really love the frame, you could ask a local restorer for a quote (Mercian are in Derby - I know they do repaints, not sure if they replace tubes). Otherwise, new frame.

ARGOS Racing in Bristol will fix it - and do a good job of it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Judging by the rust around the lug, which will be in lots of other places on the frame I think it should have been retired a while ago. Hope that you got off OK.

More importantly, how are you? That must have been quite an impact to have wrecked your frame to such an extent.

Insurance needs to put you back in the same position as you were before the crash. If you do decide to get the frame repaired, there will the considerable cost of stripping down the bike (why should you do it?). Then you have the actual cost of the frame repair, which will not be inexpensive if done well, the cost of putting it all back in one piece, and you really ought to have a hire bike for the period of the repair. Add this lot together, and I think you'll agree that it makes sense for the driver's insurance to quickly fork out (no pun intended) for a brand new bike.

Top Bottom