Is my road positioning safe please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Im not sure if i saw this right ,with the position of your cam,but i would have moved nearer to the middle of the road,on this side of the white line,;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
position along the road was fine, but for right turn:

look behind you
if nothing close behind, signal right (right arm out)
check behind you again
if safe, move to just this side of the white line
procede when safe

hope this helps.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Pretty good I thought, except for the right turn.

alecstilleyedye said:
if safe, move to just this side of the white line
procede when safe

I would personally be about 2/3rds across, mostly to the right of your lane, but not sitting on the centreline of the road. If you're too far over to the right, they'll try to undertake you at speed.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Charlotte_C+ :-);39484][QUOTE=alecstilleyedye said:

hope this helps.

But what do i do if there is traffic close behind me?. as there often is ;)[/QUOTE]

it takes a bit of gumption, but move out immediately behind a car as it passes, as if overtaking on a motorway.

The more confidently and quickly you move, the more impossible it is for the car following to do anything but wait behind you until it is safe to pass up your inside.

literally, as soon as the rear bumper has passed, you should be out behind him and moving right over to the middle of the road ready to turn right......

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
On the right turn i would be further over to the right, but that could be the positioning of the camera.
I go down a country road thats national speed limit, and they seem to give me more room even in rush hour.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation

hope this helps.

But what do i do if there is traffic close behind me?. as there often is ;)[/QUOTE]
slow down and let it pass, then repeat the process. if you find you are running out of road it might help if you start the process earlier on. it may mean that you end up in the middle of the road in advance of the turn, but it leaves no confusion as to your intentions. btw it is illegal for a car to overtake once you have signalled right.

a point to remember is never to ride as if you are in the way. you have every right to be there.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj

hope this helps.

I put my arm out to signal and then slowly move over and wait for the car behind to let me go. Or i wait for a longish gap to appear before the right turn, move out to primary and signal right and slow down.

OP
OP
Charlotte_C+ :-)

alecstilleyedye;39493][QUOTE=Charlotte_C+ :-);39484][QUOTE=alecstilleyedye said:

hope this helps.

slow down and let it pass, then repeat the process. if you find you are running out of road it might help if you start the process earlier on. it may mean that you end up in the middle of the road in advance of the turn, but it leaves no confusion as to your intentions. btw it is illegal for a car to overtake once you have signalled right.

a point to remember is never to ride as if you are in the way. you have every right to be there.[/QUOTE]

Oh i see!:biggrin:. but if i do go to the middle of road earlier on, i worry about holding a lot of cars up before turn:blush:

col

Legendary Member

hope this helps.

It can be a bit worrying cant it?but iv found if i signal early enough and its busy,someone may give you the go ahead to move over,if not keep looking for a long enough gap(for you)while signalling,then move over.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Charlotte_C+ :-) said:
Oh i see!;). but if i do go to the middle of road earlier on, i worry about holding a lot of cars up before turn:blush:

Unless you get into position half a mile early or something you won't hold up a lot of cars. In any case you won't be holding the traffic up significantly more than any other right-turning vehicle.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Normally when pulling out into free-flowing traffic to turn right I look behind, if there's a car following I try and look directly at the driver, then signal, when it's pretty clear that the following vehicle is slowing I pull out. Generally I acknowledge the driver (quick wave of the signalling hand) while pulling out. I don't use a mirror but some people find it helpful to know what's going on behind in advance of actually looking behind (you still gotta look behind tho').

I'm more comfortable doing right turns like this when moving at a fair speed- I put on a bit of a sprint some way before the turn, and often again when pulling out. It's more difficult where the traffic is travelling a fair bit faster.

OP
OP

Thank you so much everyone for helping :biggrin:. im really glad i asked.

as its given me lots to think about, & of course to try & put it into practice! ;):biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
Charlotte_C+ :-) said:
i worry about holding a lot of cars up before turn:blush:

Do not think this way.
Think instead, "the car stopped behind me is shielding me from some numpty who might come racing up from behind".
Also, it is not you that is holding up the cars, it is the stream of traffic coming the other way that is causing the problem, it is holding you up!
You have as much right to be on the road as anyone else.

Stay safe.;)

Top Bottom