Is my tyre kaput?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenBen

Über Member
IMG_20190511_184351.jpg
IMG_20190511_184340.jpg
IMG_20190511_184320.jpg
IMG_20190511_184351.jpg
IMG_20190511_184242.jpg
IMG_20190511_184312.jpg
IMG_20190511_184252.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would say so

13 rider

Guru
New tyre time I think . How would you feel hurtling down a descent with that tyre on ! . Shame looks lots of miles left in the tread

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Ahh maaaaan. Its not far off a brand new tyre,probably less than 500 miles on the pair. I thought as much but was hoping someone would tell me otherwise.

Is it acceptable to mix and match tyres? Budget wont really stretch to a new pair at the moment.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd have no problem mixing tyres.

Do you still have the receipt for the tyre, maybe speak to retailer given it's almost new (what tyre is it?)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shudders at mixing tyres... my OCD won't let me, even on my MTB.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Mmm i hate the idea of mixing them, but its that or dont ride until payday.

Any suggestions for a decent cheap tyre? The back one is a conti 4 season.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
I'd have no problem mixing tyres.

Do you still have the receipt for the tyre, maybe speak to retailer given it's almost new (what tyre is it?)

Sadly not, im really bad at things like that, i probably didnt even take the receipt from the shop.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Is it acceptable to mix and match tyres? Budget wont really stretch to a new pair at the moment.

Shudders at mixing tyres... my OCD won't let me, even on my MTB.

Luckily I don't suffer from cycling OCD. A tyre is a tyre in my book and if I need to change one in a hurry because of a failure (like happened this afternoon on one of my MTB's), I don't care if it is the same make, model, colour, tread pattern, or even size, so long as it is fit or purpose and will safely fit the rim and clear the brakes and frame.
I prefer to have presentable looking matching tyres on my "good" bikes, but anything goes on the hack ones, and in an emergency anything goes on all of them if it's the choice between having a serviceable bike or a V.O.R. bike awaiting parts. If you are looking where you are going, rather than down at the wheel, you cant really see your tyres whilst riding anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Luckily I don't suffer from cycling OCD. A tyre is a tyre in my book and if I need to change one in a hurry because of a failure (like happened this afternoon on one of my MTB's), I don't care if it is the same make, model, colour, tread pattern, or even size, so long as it is fit or purpose and will safely fit the rim and clear the brakes and frame.
I prefer to have presentable looking matching tyres on my "good" bikes, but anything goes on the hack ones, and in an emergency anything goes on all of them if it's the choice between having a serviceable bike or a V.O.R. bike awaiting parts. If you are looking where you are going, rather than down at the wheel, you cant really see your tyres whilst riding anyway.

I do suffer. I won't mix makes on my bike or indeed 'models', or even odd wheels. As you know with MTB's, folk mix makes quite often. TBH I went with Maxxis Minion's for my MTB, but in front and rear specific tread - that I can live with.

We all have our little 'oddities'.

Top Bottom