Is Philosophy Still A Thing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
You may indeed, be so bold.

But i'll have to be equally bold and go and enquire of the chef - they were just presented to me and i scoffed them down, whilst we philosophised.

i realise now - how very rude - or at least inattentive of me, that actually was..

I did say

"Thank you very much for a yummy lunch"

So hopefully we're still on good terms.

It may be a while though, as I'm getting deeper into the details of holiday preparations -

Bath time, and "la di da" toenail painting !!

I'm even thinking a different colour on each nail perhaps ??-

I mean its not even likely that anyone impressionable, is going to see them - but i'll know they're there.

:girl:

Just so long as he doesn’t reply, “ I dunno, just some spotty things I found under a tree.”

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Just so long as he doesn’t reply, “ I dunno, just some spotty things I found under a tree.”

If theres no reply - in a bit - you'll know they were.. :ohmy:

Chef is a she btw - supplying some of the nail varnish colours even - her generosity knows no bounds -

- assuming that is - that the mushrooms weren't poisonous and its not all a cunning plan to see me dead .. :stop:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Flat rice noodles..

Which are a bit wormlike - on reflection:ohmy:

And mixed stir fried veg, with lots of seeds, and mushrooms :smile:

Not a religious cook, but definitely an philosophical one.

We're on time machines, and visiting Ancient Egypt right now ..

I'll let you know if we get anywhere.:okay:
Jodi Taylor’s “ Chronicles of St. Mary’s” ?

Do philosophers still exist now ? And in what way does their work contribute to modern life ?

Social care is heavily influenced by philosophy, usually up until the point where some philosophical theory meets reality in the streets, but it still gets cited when people up in an office somewhere want to sound like they know what they're doing, which is the main thing.

Last edited:

Cirrus

Veteran
Epictetus - “It is not events that disturb people, it is their judgements concerning them.”

Pretty much sums up a lot of the arguments people have, in my judgement of course...

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
One of my favourite philosophers is Hannah Arendt. Her book on The Origins of Totalitarianism helps to explain much of what is going on in the post truth populist world of today. This little quote from that book seems pretty relevant today:

In an ever-changing, incomprehensible world the masses had reached the point where they would, at the same time, believe everything and nothing, think that everything was possible and that nothing was true. ... Mass propaganda discovered that its audience was ready at all times to believe the worst, no matter how absurd, and did not particularly object to being deceived because it held every statement to be a lie anyhow. The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that, under such conditions, one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust that if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism; instead of deserting the leaders who had lied to them, they would protest that they had known all along that the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness.
If there are not too many pages (and there are a few I can colour in) I'll have a go at that :okay:. Although it does sound a bit scary and I do want to be able to go to sleep at night. But is that actually philosophy rather than group psychology? :unsure: Serious question and serious possible attempt at reading too. :okay:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
and "la di da" toenail painting !!
I'm even thinking a different colour on each nail perhaps... but i'll know they're there.
Shrodinger's toe-nails... different to Descartes who's are pink therefore they're glam.

Rocky

Hello decadence
If there are not too many pages (and there are a few I can colour in) I'll have a go at that :okay:. Although it does sound a bit scary and I do want to be able to go to sleep at night. But is that actually philosophy rather than group psychology? :unsure: Serious question and serious possible attempt at reading too. :okay:
She's not an easy read, unfortunately. It's written very tightly and like many other philosophers has her own definitions of words which make understanding a bit challenging. In fact rather than give you nightmares, it may be a cure for insomnia!! If you can get into her writing, it's well worth the effort (albeit a mighty effort).

She is a philosopher and, ironically*, studied under Martin Heidegger (who she had an affair with) just before he joined the Nazi Party. There are various Youtube videos which explain her philosophy in bite-sized chunks - that might be a good place to start.

(* she was Jewish and sought to understand the holocaust)

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just common or garden field mushrooms, by all accounts -

- or so she claims.

You've got me worried now :rolleyes:

I don't think I've read them?

Any good?

- I know - define 'good' :angel:
I enjoyed reading several of them. The premise is that there's an eccentric group of Historians who are able to travel back in time to observe historical events " as they happened " but with strict instructions never to intervene due to the chaos that could be wreaked on the future timeline.
They're based at " St Mary's " which is a sort of Bletchley Park type establishment. Of course things never go as planned and there are various escapades where things almost go tragically wrong.
Mainly light hearted and funny escapades but with some darker parts and moral dilemma's.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Shrodinger's toe-nails... they're pink therefore they're glam.

Eek no...

Anything but pink..

My toes are already pink..

I'm more after striking contrast.

Like this...

And yes, this leaf had fallen precisely thus on the guys crotch.

I couldn't resist a snap..

Yes - and I had noticed I do have longish toes..

There's probs a system of philosophical thought based around digit length too..:rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I enjoyed reading several of them. The premise is that there's an eccentric group of Historians who are able to travel back in time to observe historical events " as they happened " but with strict instructions never to intervene due to the chaos that could be wreaked on the future timeline.
They're based at " St Mary's " which is a sort of Bletchley Park type establishment. Of course things never go as planned and there are various escapades where things almost go tragically wrong.
Mainly light hearted and funny escapades but with some darker parts and moral dilemma's.

Time travel, and moral dilemmas..

Hard to separate really.

Thanks for the recommend though 👍🏼

Tenkaykev

Guru
Eek no...

Anything but pink..

My toes are already pink..

I'm more after striking contrast.

Like this... View attachment 609151
And yes, this leaf had fallen precisely thus on the guys crotch.

I couldn't resist a snap..

Yes - and I had noticed I do have longish toes..

There's probs a system of philosophical thought based around digit length too..:rolleyes:
I think I read something about traits that were correlated to the comparative length of the digits on the human hand. Who knows, Phrenology might even made a comeback 🤔
Best recent article I read was an account in Ars Technica of the recent Ig Nobel awards, one was the investigation into whether human males developed facial hair as a defence against being punched in the face ^_^
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...f-fear-and-more-receive-2021-ig-nobel-prizes/

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I think it's something to do with whether your ring finger is longer or shorter than your index finger...

Trouble is my left hand's ring finger is longest and my right hand's index finger is longest so I'm incapable of making any decisions... but on the other hand...

Top Bottom