Is Philosophy Still A Thing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think it's something to do with whether your ring finger is longer or shorter than your index finger...

Trouble is my left hand's ring finger is longest and my right hand's index finger is longest so I'm incapable of making any decisions... but on the other hand...

My ring finger is longer on both hands.

This can clearly only mean one thing - That I am a stable genius

:shy:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
She's not an easy read, unfortunately. It's written very tightly and like many other philosophers has her own definitions of words which make understanding a bit challenging. In fact rather than give you nightmares, it may be a cure for insomnia!! If you can get into her writing, it's well worth the effort (albeit a mighty effort).

She is a philosopher and, ironically*, studied under Martin Heidegger (who she had an affair with) just before he joined the Nazi Party. There are various Youtube videos which explain her philosophy in bite-sized chunks - that might be a good place to start.

(* she was Jewish and sought to understand the holocaust)
YouTube sounds like a good idea. Thanks Rocky :thumbsup:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I listened to her for a few minutes then my head started to ache... she uses a lot of words!

Wimmin..

Using wurds...

Tisn't neither right nor proper...:wacko:

I was on a web chat about Vedic philosophy

( Like you do :rolleyes:)

The other day.

And some American guy opined that really there hadn't been that many 'women ' philosophers of any significance throughout history.

Wow - you should have heard that zoom chat crackle with replies..:rolleyes:

Honestly, it really didn't seem to have occurred to him.

Who ?? Up until only very recently, has had privilege, of voice, been given credibility, access to education, access to publishing etc etc.

I think he went away with a little bit to think about.

Which is always a good thing, right ??:okay:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Wimmin..

Using wurds...

Tisn't neither right nor proper...:wacko:

I was on a web chat about Vedic philosophy

( Like you do :rolleyes:)

The other day.

And some American guy opined that really there hadn't been that many 'women ' philosophers of any significance throughout history.

Wow - you should have heard that zoom chat crackle with replies..:rolleyes:

Honestly, it really didn't seem to have occurred to him.

Who ?? Up until only very recently, has had privilege, of voice, been given credibility, access to education, access to publishing etc etc.

I think he went away with a little bit to think about.

Which is always a good thing, right ??:okay:
Oi!
I also listened to Richard Bernstein talking about his discussions with Hannah Arendt and he uses a lot of words too... it isn't a sex thing, it's a Philosophers' thing... good job they hide stones in schools of wizardry.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Is that the one requiring a bib? Oh wait - slopcism? Well know in Old Folks Homes. Sometimes referred to in a lazy way as dribbling?

Define define........
Ask Jordan......:tongue:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Oi!
I also listened to Richard Bernstein talking about his discussions with Hannah Arendt and he uses a lot of words too... it isn't a sex thing, it's a Philosophers' thing... good job they hide stones in schools of wizardry.

Oh for sure..

None of them know shoot, about shoot, really.

They're all just trying to avoid having to get a 'proper' job by churning out some unintelligible nonsense really.

They should try a hard day, a hoeing beets..

That'd shut em up with all their preetenshus goin's on...:okay:

Archie_tect

Hoeing beets is a metaphor for life- you spend weeks and weeks protecting and nurturing the plants and then kill them by cutting their heads off, sticking them in boiling water and drowning them in acid... just to be sure.

Philosophers can tell people what they know in such a way that hides what they know so well that nobody knows what it is... possibly.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hoeing beets is a metaphor for life- you spend weeks and weeks protecting and nurturing the plants and then kill them by cutting their heads off, sticking them in boiling water and drowning them in acid... just to be sure.

Philosophers can tell people what they know in such a way that hides what they know so well that nobody knows what it is... possibly.

Oh for sure,

All of its metaphorical.

The soil, the seeds, the roots, the shoots, the fruits, and the earth sky water, the life body and breath of the farmer, and the produce of the land, the interfaces, and cosmic forces continuosly at play, in the universe.

It's inescapable..

Which is why I have to run to the stark and austere hills now and then,.

Or risk being overwhelmed by it all >>>>> :hello:

Archie_tect

Oh for sure,

All of its metaphorical.

The soil, the seeds, the roots, the shoots, the fruits, and the earth sky water, the life body and breath of the farmer, and the produce of the land, the interfaces, and cosmic forces continuosly at play, in the universe.

It's inescapable..

Which is why I have to run to the stark and austere hills now and then,.

Or risk being overwhelmed by it all >>>>> :hello:
That's why cream teas were invented...

Rocky

Hello decadence
Three current philosophers, who also happen to be brilliant authors.....

Ray Monk (books on Wittgenstein, Russell and Oppenheimer)
Cheryl Misak (book on Frank Ramsay - a sheer excess of power)
Jo Wollf (An introduction to political philosophy)

I can thoroughly recommend all of them. Clever people but good at communication.

Top Bottom