Is professional cycling different than all other sports ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I was pondering cycle racing earlier...

Is professional cycling the only team sport that has an individual winner ? By this I mean that a team exists, and any member of the team could win a given grand tour, but in actual fact the team is totally dedicated to getting one, predetermined member, across the line first ?

I cannot think of any other sport like this ...

oldroadman

Veteran
Yes. It is different. The only analogy that springs to mind is something like formula 1, where a huge team are dedicated to putting a car and driver over the line first. But there the "domestiques" are not actually in the race, other than the high speed pit crew.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Some big expedition high altitude mountaineering is similar. A broad-based pyramid of climbers and haulers who do "the needful" for a couple of chosen ones to reach the summit. The chosen ones might vary on the course of an ascent, but the principle's the same.

swansonj

Guru
I'm not an expert, but I thought in at least some races, the pacer(s) entered the race alongside the intended winner, and ran in it, ostensibly like any other competitor, just with a different tactical plan for the race which doesn't involve them wining but does involve helping someone else to win?

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Yes, but there is no "team" .. everyone is an individual

I can understand what you mean, but I don't think it is the same

andyfraser

Über Member
I don't know whether it's still allowed but F1 used to have team orders where one driver would help the other driver.

F1 does have the concept of (usually) 2 drivers who are racing individually to win the championship but both are working to for the team to win the constructors title. That's a little similar I suppose.

Edit: This can apply to other motor sports too, in some case more so.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Wendyball?

The aim is to feed the "striker" who scores the goal
Netball would be a better example, as only certain nominated team players can score. Unlike football where everyone can score.

Another example of an individual sport played as a team is Cricket. The batsman is very much on his own, playing as an individual in a team, although they ultimately win or lose as a team.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
All excellent suggestions (other than Wendyball - not even sure this exists) - but I still think that cycling is different than them all.

Top Bottom