Is reaching Max Heart Rate dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Apologies for adding a personal question to this thread which is kind of related for me at least.
My max heart rate using the age and 220 formula has been roughly 170 despite my hardest rides attempting to see if i can max any higher.
Anyway this year since very early January i have lost almost 2 stones and am riding longer and harder and now see my max hr around 185. Is it possible that it has increased to that level or could my hr strap be faulty?
I realise the formula is only rough but I'm comparing last year with this.
Thanks.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No. The formula wasn't correct (no surprise there) I'd say you are simply working harder than last year.

lukesdad

Your statement is so obviously wrong that I can't believe that you are serious!

I once wore a HRM in bed to find my resting pulse rate - it was 37 bpm at that time (I was fit!). I was able to get my pulse rate up to 140 bpm in seconds by just thinking about my very stressful job. Then, I cleared my mind and got it back down to 37 bpm. With intense relaxation, I managed to get it down to 34 bpm. So, there is a change of over 110 bpm for you without the subject even moving! :thumbsup:
The difference between physical fitness and mental fitness perhaps.

Ningishzidda

As you get really fit attaining MHR will become rarer. :thumbsup:

Unless of course you take up a different sport.
Every time you do a MHR 'Ramp test', you hit your MHR.

If you don't hit your MHR in the final 200 metres of a TT, you're not trying hard enough.

Ningishzidda

The formula "220 minus age" is used so Gymnasium staff don't have to waste time using the defibrillator on every new member.

lukesdad

Every time you do a MHR 'Ramp test', you hit your MHR.

If you don't hit your MHR in the final 200 metres of a TT, you're not trying hard enough.

can you read or just not follow a thread ?

billy1561

BB wrecker
As you get really fit attaining MHR will become rarer. :thumbsup:

Unless of course you take up a different sport.
What puzzles me is when i was particularly unfit i hit my (then) max HR of 170 but it appears to have moved up a little now i am fitter to around 185. It is rarer i get that high though as you have pointed out. I thought that whatever the max HR is was the absolute. Apparently not..

Ningishzidda

My heart rate is pretty high when I'm out running, unless I'm going for distance I run as hard as I can sustain averaging about 180bpm and I like to run the last 200metres as hard as I can and usually max out nearly 200bpm, I decided to push it hard today and peaked at 203 bpm at the end which must be very close to my max. Im just wondering if this is a bad idea and dangerous.

I presume similar things happen with cycling, but I don't often ride at that effort level. :smile:

Can I refer you to this?
http://www.flammerouge.je/content/1_wwpp/testmaxheart.htm

Top Bottom