Is reaching Max Heart Rate dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

What puzzles me is when i was particularly unfit i hit my (then) max HR of 170 but it appears to have moved up a little now i am fitter to around 185. It is rarer i get that high though as you have pointed out. I thought that whatever the max HR is was the absolute. Apparently not..
your calculation for MHR was wrong in the first place

lukesdad

Could you spell out for us what STFU means? And then lead by example.
Nobbers get seen thru' pretty quickly on here :thumbsup: and you are very transparent

Ningishzidda

your calculation for MHR was wrong in the first place

To all.
There is NO "calculation" for MHR. It is what it is. It can be discovered by performing a ramp test, as per the web page I quoted upthread.

OP describes his activity like he is a seasoned athlete and performed a pseudo test by running at 180, and then sprinting to record his MHR. 203 was it? So now he knows. After a few weeks of intervals, he can re-test and update his charts.
If any of you have any suspicion performing a ramp test might prove fatal, go to your doctor to arrange an ECG test with the practice nurse. Your doctor will advise you if there is any abnormality in your heart function.

david k

Hi
To all.
There is NO "calculation" for MHR. It is what it is. It can be discovered by performing a ramp test, as per the web page I quoted upthread.

OP describes his activity like he is a seasoned athlete and performed a pseudo test by running at 180, and then sprinting to record his MHR. 203 was it? So now he knows. After a few weeks of intervals, he can re-test and update his charts.
If any of you have any suspicion performing a ramp test might prove fatal, go to your doctor to arrange an ECG test with the practice nurse. Your doctor will advise you if there is any abnormality in your heart function.

whilst i agree with much of what you say is it really that simple? what i mean is will a doctor simply agree to an ecg and if so will it tell if there is any issue? im not sure it can diagnose every issue

Garz

Squat Member
Also to get your local GP to place you on a list to get monitored in this way is pretty remote. Back OT, if you do it sensibly then it;s not dangerous - happy training!!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
How did you manage to exceed a maximum?

Top Bottom