Is red light walking OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Cab said:
And I always get right and left confused when writing :smile:

Thats what I'd do for turning right too. I think its probably the correct thing to do.

Confusion over! Given that a high proportion of drivers at that junction think that stopping at a red light is advisory rather than mandatory, I don't feel too bad about it anyway.

gbb

Legendary Member
Dannyg said:
Sometimes if I get to a major junction and the lights have just changed, I jump of and walk my bike across the junction, and then jump back on a ride off.

I've always assumed this is a legitimate thing to do, particularly as the pedestrian lights are usually at green at this point. However I recently got into an debate with a fellow cyclist who suggested I was probably p*ssing off car drivers and pedestrians by doing this.

Still can't see the problem myself - what does anyone else think?

We should get back to the original question / statement...no need to fog the issue with hypothetic theories.

The crucial point is..Are you dismounting and walking across the road or walking on an adjacent path ?

If you're dismounting and walking on the road, then you could argue you should be more patient and observe the rules of the road.

If you move onto a path..you cease at that point to be a road user...end of. If you then choose to walk for 10 yards, the re-join the road...no problem. Theres absolutely nothing illegal, immoral or rude about it. Walking on a path with a bicycle is no more of a danger or hinderance to peds than a mother pushing a pram.

Based on the that, IMO, if anyone thinks its rude, impatient, whatever, to dismount, join a footpath, walk, the re-mount and re-join the road....they're plain wrong.
A bicycle's use is not limited to the road..you are not obliged by law to complete your ride 'soley' on the road, you are not obliged to stay on the bike to get from A to B.

Tynan

Veteran
sure

and what do waiting and watching motorists, the filthy, ignorant, unreasonable brutes that already think cyclists don;t obey the same rules as them

what do they think about it?

imho they'll think that as good as jumping the light

gbb

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
sure

and what do waiting and watching motorists, the filthy, ignorant, unreasonable brutes that already think cyclists don;t obey the same rules as them

what do they think about it?

imho they'll think that as good as jumping the light

Thats their opinion Tynan, and if they're so wound up about cyclists, they'd probably moan for you simply breathing the same air as they do.
In pure and simple terms, there's nothing illegal or otherwise about dismounting and using a path. If someone doesnt like it...tough. It's their problem.

That's like saying someone does'nt like the cut of my trousers..so i'm a w@nker.
It's like saying all 4x4 drivers are lunatics.
It's like saying joggers should'nt use the road..under any circumstances

Its an opinion...does'nt mean it's right. ;)

Said it before, correct cycling and setting an example is to be commended. But the moment you step off a bike and become a ped...the rules change. We are all free to make that choice of when we want to be a cyclist or a ped.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'd hasten to add...i hardly ever dismount and walk in this way....very very rarely perhaps. I wouldnt deem it neccessary unless there was a substantial delay i could avoid. Drivers would do the same to avoid the delay..if they could. If there is resentment..IF...perhaps the driver should ditch the car and become a cyclist...not incorrectly resent a cyclist for the freedom he has.

I reserve the right to become a ped with a bike at my side..if i choose. (i dont have to reserve the right anyway...it is my right)

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
motorists, the filthy, ignorant, unreasonable brutes

I think this is the root of your problem, a rather generalistic, jaded view of a huge number of people.

It's great that you think you're better than them all, or is it a chip on your shoulder cos you think they think they're better than you.

either way there's clearly not much hope of a reasonable approach from you when that's your attitude

Top Bottom