Is red light walking OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Slightly off topic but I haven't been late for work since 1997 and im only in a hurry to get home when Eastenders is on.(Not really ;))

Never really in a hurry to get to work and have to allow an extra ten minutes to faff about on Platform 11 at Waterloo.

I try and leave for work with plenty of time just in case thee p*nct*re fairy visits.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The only thing strained here is your manufactured disbelief, LOL! Of course cycling in the road is more convenient than cycling on a path alongside. Means you don't have to stop for junctions, driveways, etc where the main road has priority, but the cycle path doesn't. You can nearly always go faster on the road too.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
jashburnham said:
As for the yoghurt knitting thing Zim, I live and work in central London and still manage to be places on time. I once lost a big bit of business thanks to being late so now I'm always on time, it really ain't that hard.

forgot my smiley!;)

you bloomin' Panda-stroking commie!

Tynan

Veteran
BentMikey said:
The only thing strained here is your manufactured disbelief, LOL! Of course cycling in the road is more convenient than cycling on a path alongside. Means you don't have to stop for junctions, driveways, etc where the main road has priority, but the cycle path doesn't. You can nearly always go faster on the road too.

not safe for the quicker cyclist, too much debris, bad road surface, kids and peds, simple as that, and that's assuming there even is one, I've never seen a cycle path on my commute on top of that, if you mean sole use

so in my case the question doesn't really apply

and I still think you're really straining to make a point of little value

crackle, deedy, do tell

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
One of the routes that I use, I want to turn right immediately after a roundabout (and you can't because of the traffic island), but there is a zebra crossing. I usually stop safely then cross the zebra crossing on foot, and then restart my journey in the side road.

I certainly think there are times when cyclists feel it might be safer to walk a particular junction. In most cases I couldn't be bothered to get off my bike and would rather wait.

Another case when I do get off and walk to gain advantage is in a narrow road with parked cars when two cars are having a standoff about who is going to back down and reverse. I often think its safer to be off the road if they are getting aggressive about it. I would wait if I thought they would be polite - I hate pushing my bike.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i do it on my commute occasionally, the traffic lights have one of those sensors which doesn't recognise bikes, so little choice really. there are very few, if any, peds around when i do it so who is there to get upset by it?

Cab

summerdays said:
One of the routes that I use, I want to turn right immediately after a roundabout (and you can't because of the traffic island), but there is a zebra crossing. I usually stop safely then cross the zebra crossing on foot, and then restart my journey in the side road.

Ahh, yes, I've got a right turn that has a zebra crossing immediately to the right of it. Hard to get out on to the road there, cars slowing up for the zebra crossing either don't see cyclists there or they're just not going to let you out, and as its a busy little crossing (by footbridge over the Cam) you can end up waiting there like a lemon for ages. When I go that way I do often dismount and wheel over the crossing, its so much faster and more convenient.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
magnatom said:
Let me sum up FM. Turn a blind eye.

Err, no.

In fact, I have no idea on what basis you make this comment at all.

You seem to be talking about something completely different and criticising something that you have invented for me to think. This is a perfect demonstration of the 'straw man' argument, and unworthy of someone as intelligent as you.

I was talking about the subject at hand. Let's keep it that way, eh?

(And some other time, if you'd like to have a chat about the decline in social responsibility, we can compare notes...)

U

User482

My commute has a cyclepath that crosses a main road, with a toucan crossing. Now, I actually need to turn right onto the road at this point rather than continue on the cyclepath on the other side.

What would you do?

Cab

User482 said:
My commute has a cyclepath that crosses a main road, with a toucan crossing. Now, I actually need to turn right onto the road at this point rather than continue on the cyclepath on the other side.

What would you do?

I've always assumed that what you're meant to do in such a situation is wait till the lights change and then turn left when the traffic has stopped; I'm not aware of anything special about toucan crossings that make them different to any other junction, your light to go is green so you can turn right. Or am I missing something here?

U

User482

Cab said:
I've always assumed that what you're meant to do in such a situation is wait till the lights change and then turn left when the traffic has stopped; I'm not aware of anything special about toucan crossings that make them different to any other junction, your light to go is green so you can turn right. Or am I missing something here?

I'm not sure I explained it clearly - the path runs at right angles to the road, and is linked by the crossing. I always thought I was being a bit cheeky - stopping the traffic so I could turn right on the road, instead of continuing along the path.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is at least one set of lights that I can think of where there is a small bit of road by the side of the traffic light that allows the cyclist to leave the road and then swing around ready to cross the lights when they turn green for the cyclists - I've always assumed its fine to ride across those lights.

Cab

User482 said:
I'm not sure I explained it clearly - the path runs at right angles to the road, and is linked by the crossing. I always thought I was being a bit cheeky - stopping the traffic so I could turn right on the road, instead of continuing along the path.

Its exactly how I thought it was then ;)

I think you either have to press the button and stop the traffic to turn left, or run the red light. I'd do the former.

Top Bottom